UF will receive $31,046,411 in stimulus money from the U.S. Department of Education. At least $15,523,206 will be allocated to students as emergency financial aid. 

This money comes from the CARES act, a federal stimulus package that was enacted last month. There was about $12.5 billion distributed among higher education institutes across the country. The total package allocated $14 billion, and the remaining money will go to minority-serving institutions and smaller colleges, according to The Chronicle. 

The money was distributed to help these institutions recover from the financial fallout of remote learning, a move made after the increase in COVID-19 cases in the United States. As of Friday morning, UF had 33 confirmed cases of COVID-19.

At a UF Board of Trustees meeting last month, UF revealed that it would lose about $33 million due to student refunds, canceled performances and university services due to its decision to continue remote learning through the Spring and Summer semesters. 

To help students financially, UF offered the Aid-a-Gator program which allows students to apply for funding during emergency situations. The applications for the Aid-a-Gator are due today. 

Contact Alyssa Feliciano at afeliciano@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter