From on-campus to online, GatorNights continue

GatorNights online

GatorNights continues to host free events for UF students during the Summer

GatorNights has been a UF tradition for 20 years. For Ashley Somchanhmavong, the program has been an integral part of her college experience, as she has participated in the events for the last three years.

With COVID-19 sending students home, GatorNights has had to adapt to offer virtual events. Somchanhmavong, a 21-year-old UF art and technology senior, said she thinks it’s great that the program is still moving forward, despite the new environment.

GatorNights has been adapting to offer virtual events to connect UF students despite social distancing guidelines since classes moved online. Online GatorNights are hosted through Zoom. Performance events, like the virtual mind reader performance on April 13, are interactive with audience participation. Virtual challenge events place participants into teams using break out rooms on Zoom to create a friendly competition, as used during the escape room event on April 15.

Jeremy Rutenberg, a 19-year-old UF mechanical engineering sophomore, says he feels the nights aren’t the same. Rutenberg attended GatorNights semi-regularly before events on campus halted due to COVID-19. He said he hasn’t attended a virtual GatorNights event, but sees the online platform as an opportunity to bring UF students together through an online activity during quarantine.

“I think it’s a good attempt to make the best of a bad situation, but nothing virtual can replace meeting your friends on a Friday night in the Reitz for GatorNights,” Rutenberg said.

Normally, GatorNights is a free program that regularly hosts events at the J. Wayne Reitz Union on Friday nights. These programs include a variety of activities which change week-to-week, including a silent disco, bingo, movie showings, arts and crafts and performances.

According to the GatorNights website, more than 1,100 students on average attend GatorNights weekly on campus. However, Lynne Palmer, conference and event manager at UF’s division of student affairs, said it’s hard to gauge how many now attend due to the nights being virtual.

GatorNights hosted a Yoga at Home event on April 22 in collaboration with RecSports. There were 15 participants. Joel Axon, assistant director for marketing and strategic communications for RecSports, said the class went well and brought new participants who had not taken a RecSports group fitness class previously.

“It is essential to continue to offer students a variety of alternatives and activities to keep moving,” Axon said.

July 10 was the tenth virtual event of the Summer, which was an open mic night. Singer-songwriter Angie Keihauer performed. Previous Summer virtual GatorNights events included a love song playlist bingo game night for National Loving Day on June 12 and an improv and comedy night with Jacob Williams May 2.

GatorNights hosted a Mario Kart Tournament and virtual casino games event in collaboration with RecSports July 17. Mario Kart is in the current RecSports summer Esports league which allows students to join a virtual intramural sport from home.

“Sports and Esports give students a community and social interaction with their fellow Gators,” Axon said.

Jeisson Hernandez, a freshman engineering student, has yet to attend a virtual GatorNights, but looked forward to the Mario Kart tournament.

“I saw that they were trying to stream a Mario Kart tournament and have a virtual casino, definitely seems interesting,” Hernandez said.

Upcoming GatorNights events include an escape room and drawing class that will take place on July 24.

Those interested in attending the virtual game night must pre-register in order to receive the Zoom link for the event.