Mullen
Mullen

The scene was familiar, with Florida coach Dan Mullen at the podium, answering questions from the media. But, between the Gators gaiter Mullen wore, questions fed through a Zoom chat and Mullen closing the press conference by reminding journalists to wear masks, there were plenty of reminders of the “new normal” of college football during a pandemic.

“We’re going to adapt to whatever happens as we go forward,” he said. “The team that’s going to be able to adapt the best is going to be the one holding up that national championship trophy at the end of the season.”

With headlines across the country about conferences canceling seasons and players opting out of the 2020 season, Mullen said there were players who didn’t practice on Monday. He refused to name names, saying that he’ll leave it up to the individual players.

Mullen also said that he wouldn’t be surprised to see players and coaches opt out, citing that there may be age-related concerns for coaches.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if you have guys opt out,” Mullen said. “I’m going to support them fully. I really wouldn’t be surprised if we had coaches opt out, to be honest with you. Coaches are at such high risk because of the age group that they’re in.”

Sports Illustrated reported that the four players that didn’t practice were wide receivers Trevon Grimes, Kadarius Toney and Jacob Copeland along with defensive lineman Zachary Carter.

Mullen also refused to talk about the depth chart, though he did note that there is no update on the eligibility of transfer wide receivers Justin Shorter and Jordan Pouncey.

The SEC announced that it would release the full schedule Monday evening after previously revealing who each team would play this season. Arkansas, whose starting quarterback is presumed to be former UF quarterback Feleipe Franks, is one of the two additional SEC West teams the Gators will play this season along with Texas A&M.

“Obviously, not ideal to me, I don’t think for him or us,” Mullen said. “I was really excited for him to get this whole new, fresh start for one more year of college … I think now having to play them this year kinda brings up things. I don’t know how good that is for anybody.”

Florida will open the season on Sept. 26 on the road against Ole Miss. It will also be the first of three games the Gators will have against teams with a new head coach.

Follow Brendan on Twitter @Bfarrell727 and contact him at bfarrell@alligator.org.