<p>Then-junior receiver Kadarius Toney celebrates an Orange Bowl victory to end the Gators' 2019 season. A healthy Toney is poised to make a splash for Florida this year.</p>

Then-junior receiver Kadarius Toney celebrates an Orange Bowl victory to end the Gators' 2019 season. A healthy Toney is poised to make a splash for Florida this year.

On the field, he’s what a 13-year-old would create in Madden: a blend of speed and agility that would erode joysticks as users dance their way through CPU defenders. 

As a sophomore in 2018, he gained career highs in game appearances (12) and all-purpose yards (629). After missing six games to injury in 2019 and totaling a career-low 286 all-purpose yards, Kadarius Toney’s forced time off the field cast doubts on his ability to make an impact on it. 

But behind the “Kyle squared” phenomenon Saturday, Toney danced through Mississippi’s defense for 154 all-purpose yards and a touchdown. Doubts about his health or impact were all but forgotten in favor of electric displays of athleticism.  

He’s the kind of athlete that opposing teams need to devote a cornerback to in order to match his athleticism and quickness, defensive coordinator Todd Grantham said Tuesday. It’s not just defenders who struggle keeping up with his ability to turn a yard to a mile though, as redshirt senior offensive lineman Brett Heggie said of this 50-yard scamper. 

“I was blocking to the right, and I looked back to the left, and he’s like running with one hand on the ground,” Heggie said. “The next thing you know he’s gone.”

But it took work this summer to progress past notions that he lacks consistency between flashes of brilliance

He found ways to situate himself in a position where he could understand the flexibility of his role within the offense and how it affects the team, offensive coordinator Brian Johnson said Monday. While giving teammate Trevon Grimes instruction on how to play smaller, the fellow wideout said he helped Toney develop as a receiver.

“He’s just become a better receiver, a better person, and I’m excited to see what he does this year,” Grimes said. 

The work paid off. Coaches say his routes are sharp and that his work ethic allows him to function in multiple roles within the offense. While the coaching staff hold the cards as they decide the gameplan, Toney’s ability to flourish within the flow of the offense might be too alluring to pass up. 

“He's a very, very intelligent player that understands coverage,” Johnson said. “He's an amazing athlete that's really fun to watch play football."

Contact Christian Ortega at cortega@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @unofficialchris.