<p>The men's and women's teams finished 12th and sixth, respectively, at their first tournament of the 2020 season.</p>

The men's and women's teams finished 12th and sixth, respectively, at their first tournament of the 2020 season.

The Gators men’s and women’s golf teams finished their first tournament of the season Wednesday. The women placed sixth in the Blessings Collegiate Invitational. The men finished 12th. 

The women shot a collective 15-over-par during the final round and a 38-over-par total in Arkansas. The Razorbacks won the tournament, shooting a collective even par.

The women did, however, have a lot of individual success over the week. Sophomore Marina Escobar Domingo finished fourth overall individually. She shot even par Wednesday to finish the tournament 1-over-par, the finish was the best of her career up to this point.

Freshman Maisie Filler placed 23rd individually, shooting a 9-over-par, while Addie Baggarly finished 28th, shooting 12-over-par.

“I can’t describe how great it was to be competing again,” Associate Head Coach Janice Olivencia said in a release. “We are sincerely grateful to be part of the SEC that worked hard to create this opportunity for us to compete in the safest environment possible.””

The men shot a collective 13-over-par Wednesday, finishing the tournament 3-over-par. It was led by freshman Tyler Wilkes who shot a 6-over-par overall, including a 2-under-par in the final round. Wilkes finished the tournament 26th overall. His freshman teammate, Joe Pagdin, shot 7-over-par and finished 30th.

“It’s obviously disappointing to start the year like this as we all have high expectations for this team, but that’s golf,” head coach J.C. Deacon said in a release. “You’re not always going to have your best stuff and we certainly did not this week. There were plenty of lessons learned and areas where we need to focus our work.”

The men look toward its next tournament, the Vanderbilt Legends Collegiate in Nashville, Tennessee, starting Oct. 25. The women will next hit the course on Oct. 18 in The Ally at Old Waverly in West Point, Mississippi.

Contact Michael Hull at mhull@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @Michael_Hull33.

Michael Hull

Michael Hull is a fourth-year journalism sports & media major and a sports writer at The Alligator. He hosts the weekly sports podcast and has worked on staff for five semesters. In the past, Hull has served as the sports editor, the men's and women's golf beat writer, the volleyball beat writer and the football beat writer.