NEWS  |  SFC

Santa Fe College COVID-19 update: 21 students and employees tested positive last week

This brings Santa Fe’s total to 606 reported positive cases since March

<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-76665d78-afbd-6fcf-7b95-987bc825b4f0"><span id="docs-internal-guid-76665d78-afbd-6fcf-7b95-987bc825b4f0">Pictured is the Santa Fe College clock tower. </span></span></p>

Pictured is the Santa Fe College clock tower. 

Twenty-one Santa Fe College students and employees tested positive for COVID-19 between Jan. 19 and Monday. 

Of these cases, 17 were students and four were employees, according to a report provided by Santa Fe spokesperson Jay Anderson. This brings the college’s total number of reported positive cases since March to 606.

Four students and three employees may have been positive while on campus; however, this did not result in any additional exposure, according to the report. 

Since March, 103 employees and students may have been on campus while positive, resulting in a total of eight additional exposures. 

Based on the case numbers provided in the report, Santa Fe College’s positivity rate is 30.79%. 

While, unlike UF, Santa Fe does not require students to be routinely tested, it is strongly suggested. The college has COVID-19 guidelines in place, such as a mandatory mask requirement and smaller class sizes to enforce physical distancing.

Contact Juliana Ferrie at jferrie@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @juliana_f616.

Juliana Ferrie

Juliana Ferrie is a second-year UF journalism student. She is excited to be working for The Alligator as the Santa Fe Beat reporter. In her free time, you can find her reading or listening to music.