390 Alachua County Public School students and staff in quarantine

This number remains tied to students who have tested positive on sports teams

Alachua County Public Schools has 390 students and faculty in quarantine as of Tuesday afternoon, according to the school district’s COVID-19 dashboard.

Under protocol, those in quarantine reflect positive COVID-19 cases, people who had significant contact with someone who is positive, and in the case of sports teams – if an athlete or coach tests positive – the entire team must quarantine. ACPS’s total enrollment is 26,668 students as of Monday, according to the dashboard. 

There are 33 active student cases and 10 active staff cases as of Tuesday afternoon. These cases represent students and staff who have reported a positive test result to ACPS within the past 10 days.

If one student tests positive in the class, it is not protocol for the entire class to quarantine in all instances. However, ACPS spokesperson Jackie Johnson said if the teacher or school learns the student had significant contact with others, the school will always act on the side of caution and quarantine the student. 

The majority of contacts in quarantine continue to be tied to athletes who have tested positive on sports teams, Johnson said. 

ACPS continues to follow the advice of the Scientific Medical Advisory Council, which includes UF experts who monitor the county’s cases on a daily basis and determine classroom spread, Johnson said.

In elementary schools, there are 7 student cases and 2 staff cases, as of Tuesday afternoon. 

• Alachua Elementary: 1 student

• Chiles Elementary: 1 student 

• Duval Early Learning: 1 student

• Hidden Oak Elementary: 1 staff 

• High Springs Community: 1 student

• Idylwild Elementary: 1 student 

• Meadowbrook Elementary: 1 staff

• Terwilliger Elementary: 1 student 

• Wiles Elementary: 1 student 

In middle schools, there are 10 student cases and 2 staff cases, as of Tuesday afternoon.

• Ft. Clarke Middle: 1 student

• Kanapaha Middle: 1 staff

• Lincoln Middle: 4 students

• Oak View Middle: 3 students, 1 staff 

• Westwood Middle: 2 students

In high schools, there are 16 student cases and 2 staff cases, as of Tuesday afternoon.

• Buchholz High: 4 students, 1 staff

• Eastside High: 4 students

• Gainesville High: 2 students

• Newberry High: 2 students

• Santa Fe High: 4 students, 1 staff 

In centers, there is 1 staff case, as of Tuesday afternoon.

• Sidney Lanier Center: 1 staff

In departments, there are 3 staff cases, as of Tuesday afternoon. 

• District Office: 2 staff

• Sivia Center: 1 staff

Contact Daniella Sevares at dsevares@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @DaniellaSevares.

Daniella Sevares

Daniella Sevares is a third-year student and an education reporter for the Metro team. She’s from Miami, and she loves going to the beach when she’s not writing.