COVID 19  |  UF

COVID-19 Update: 169 UF-affiliates test positive in last week

The second least number of positive cases in a week came Monday alongside 456 current quarantines

<p>COVID-19 graphic seen here.</p>

COVID-19 graphic seen here.

UF’s COVID-19 cases for students and staff continue to fall in daily positive results and quarantines.

The decline maintained in the last week as 169 UF affiliates tested positive since Feb. 15, according to the university’s testing dashboard. The prior week saw 143 positive tests. This two-week period marks the fewest number of positive cases in that amount of time all semester.

Employee day-to-day cases stayed at a minimum as another four tested positive on Monday. Daily student cases have also fallen compared with previous weeks as 122 tested positive from Feb. 15 to Monday. The highest number of cases in a week ended on Feb. 1 with 362 positive student results.

Testing performed at on-campus locations totaled 1,924 negative and 13 positives tests on Monday.

Lower testing numbers on certain days reflects fewer testing appointments scheduled, Ken Garcia, a UF Health spokesperson wrote. 

On-campus quarantines have been at 98% availability since Friday. Current isolations, which include off-campus quarantines, dropped to 456 individuals — the lowest it’s been this Spring. At the same point in time of the Fall semester, 497 people were quarantined on Oct. 12. 

UF Health Shands Hospital had 6.92% adult ICU availability (18 beds) on Tuesday, and North Florida Regional Medical Center had 8.33% (4 beds), according to the AHCA of Florida.

Contact Manny Rea at mrea@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @ReaManny.

Manny Rea

Manny Rea is a journalism sophomore and the current health reporter for The Alligator. He worked as a copy editor in his freshman year before moving over to the Avenue in summer 2020. He likes to listen to dollar-bin records and read comics, and he is patiently waiting to go back to movies and concerts.