Florida continues homestand against New Mexico State Wednesday

The matchup is UF’s 11th home game in a row

<p>Florida pitcher Elizabeth Hightower during a game against Louisville game Feb. 27, 2021. She got the start in the circle for the SEC opener versus Mississippi State Friday. </p>

Florida pitcher Elizabeth Hightower during a game against Louisville game Feb. 27, 2021. She got the start in the circle for the SEC opener versus Mississippi State Friday.

New Mexico State will serve as a speed bump on the road toward a tense weekend for the Gators. 

As the Gators continue rolling through the competition, they will hope to maintain their undefeated record against the Aggies (3-9) in Gainesville at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium Wednesday evening. 

No. 5 Florida will greet NMSU with its ferocious pitching staff. The team only allowed one run in the weekend sweep over Louisville and McNeese State and gave up 10 the entire season.

Senior Natalie Lugo tops the staff as its ace. She shut down McNeese State Sunday and restricted the Cowgirls to one hit in 5 1/3 innings. The changeup is her most critical pitch, she said.

“It is what I throw to keep hitters off-balance,” Lugo said. “It hasn’t been a major part of my pitches, only starting sophomore year.”

Katie Chronister and Elizabeth Hightower stand behind Lugo. Chronister won five games and pitched a 6 1/3 shutout innings Sunday. Hightower’s skill thrills, especially when she  knocked out the Cardinals with a complete game Saturday. The junior hurled 3.2 hitless innings Sunday and picked up a save in the first game and a win in the second.

“She’s pushed herself a lot harder,” coach Tim Walton said. “She’s gained confidence just like Hannah Adams and is better all-around, from the weight room, to fielding.”

While UF’s pitching remains rock solid this campaign, its offense resembles a model of inconsistency.

The Gators’ offense appeared to turn the corner after its first nine games. Entering the weekend, it scored 38 runs in the prior six games. However, it only knocked in eight in the last three games. Third baseman Charla Echols’ performance disillusioned more than any other players’.

The junior kicked off the season on a tear. She boasted a .536 batting average heading into Saturday. Her average dropped to .417 after a 0-8 run against the Cardinals and Cowgirls.

“The game is super humbling,” Walton said. “One minute, you can’t get out, and the next, you can’t get a hit. I look forward to how she handles her struggles because that’s what good leaders do.”

The Aggies haven’t ventured outside Florida this season and played tournaments in Leesburg, Orlando and Clermont. The squad emerged victorious 5-3 over Stetson Sunday. 

Then-No. 12 Kentucky is the highest-ranked team New Mexico State played this season. The western team trailed in both games by a combined 20 runs. First pitch will be at 6 p.m. Wednesday. The game can be listened to on FloridaGators.com.

Contact Noah Ram at nram@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @Noah_ram1

Noah Ram

Noah is a third year journalism-sports and media student from Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. He has been with The Alligator since Spring 2019 and has covered men’s and women’s tennis, gymnastics and volleyball. When he isn’t on his beat, Noah is usually sadden over his beloved South Florida sports teams, such as the Heat and Dolphins.