Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Gator fans, get excited for Emory Jones

Jones starts for the first time in 2021

Jones patiently waited behind the former high school backup for years and only saw precious minutes in a few select games last season.

Living up to a Heisman Trophy candidate’s legacy isn’t an easy task.

Kyle Trask, who should find a home in the first three rounds of the NFL Draft, boasts the title of best Gators quarterback since Tim Tebow. Even without a statue outside Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, he’ll stay on UF fans’ minds  long after he reaches the big leagues.

But junior quarterback Emory Jones deserves a chance, too. Jones patiently waited behind the former high school backup for years and only saw precious minutes in a few select games last season. The junior is a mobile quarterback  a bit more in line with head coach Dan Mullen’s vision.

But can Jones live up to Trask’s stellar season?  I certainly think so. In fact, I think Jones’ ceiling tops the current draft prospect’s. 

I’m not the only one with that opinion, and I think it’s for good reason. ESPN writer Bill Connelly included Jones in an article that discussed possible heirs for Alabama quarterback Mac Jones. With another good year under his belt, I think he can reach those heights. 

Simply put: Gators fans should get excited.

To begin, Jones has an absolute cannon. Throws like this toss against Vanderbilt in 2019 and this throw in the Cotton Bowl show that his deep ball could be shape up nicely if he takes the time to hone it over the next two years. 

Jones’  powerful arm could lead to deep threats at a similar rate or better than Trask’s during his Heisman-candidate season. He looked a bit rocky in regard to his accuracy, but a full season under center could give him the experience he needs to fix that.

Jones’ mobility surpasses Trask’s and gives him an advantage on the field that Trask never had. Trask was never mobile in the pocket and managed a mere 54 yards of rushing over his entire collegiate career. 

Mullen dialed up running plays to use Jones’ legs. His speed up the middle here and the way he unlocks his second level of speed on the edge here should excite fans about the extra dimension he can introduce to the Gators’ offense and Mullen’s scheme. 

I’m not saying that Jones is a surefire Heisman candidate like Trask was.  

Trask’s consistency gives him a higher floor than Jones, but with Jones’ skillset and Mullen’s ability to build his ideal scheme like he did around other mobile quarterbacks like Tim Tebow, Dak Prescott and Alex Smith, he can accomplish more than Trask did during the 2020 season. 

Jones will find his rhythm as a starter when he faces off against Florida Atlantic and USF. The fledgling quarterback, however, will face his first true test when he confronts the indomitable Alabama Crimson Tide to kick off SEC play. 

It’ll be tough for the new QB1 to measure up to the Trask’s heights, but expectations remain  high — and with good reason. 

Contact River Wells at rwells@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @riverhwells