Lindsey leads the Gator offense in series sweep

Florida tamed the Tigers in a near-replica of game two

Lindsey stepped up and knocked a base-clearing triple off the left center wall. Photo from UF-FSU game March 3.

Center fielder Cheyenne Lindsey exited the batter’s box just as fast as she entered. She smashed the first pitch over the center field wall for a two-run homer in the fifth inning. 

No. 5 Florida completed its second consecutive SEC series sweep against No. 13 LSU Sunday after a 9-3 domination. 

Two-time SEC Pitcher of the Week Elizabeth Hightower started in the circle for Florida. Hightower saw the minimum in four innings. She allowed three runs and five hits in her eighth full-game performance of the season. 

Florida opened up with a three-run lead in the first. Lead-off ace Hannah Adams extended her hit streak to 12 games with a single up the middle. Catcher Julia Cottrill lobbed a RBI single to left. Adams outran the throw to home and scored. 

Freshman Emily Wilkie singled in identical fashion. After LSU pitcher Maribeth Gorsuch walked left fielder Jaimie Hoover, Baylee Goddard plopped a lofty two-run single in the grass just behind third base. She advanced to second while Hoover avoided the tag at third.

Gorsuch finished Saturday’s game for the Tigers and got the start for game three. The right-handed senior gave up three runs off four hits before Shelbi Sunseri relieved her. 

Sunseri contained Florida’s offense until the Gators extended their lead by three in the third. Cottrill landed a lead-off double just under the glove of diving left fielder Ciara Briggs. Two outs and four batters later, Lindsey stepped up and knocked a base-clearing triple off the left center wall.

In the fourth inning, LSU managed a three-run answer to Florida’s seven. Outfielder Aliyah Andrews singled for the Tiger's first hit of the game. A Georgia Clark two-run double scored Andrews and Taylor Pleasants. 

The Gators piled on two more runs in the fifth with Lindsey’s home run over center field to bump her total RBI to five. Lindsey took Lindaman and Hoover’s two-run homers Saturday as a challenge. 

“It’s always an inspiration to see two other people get two-run home runs,” Lindsey said. “It feels good to get that as well.”

Florida put up strikingly similar stats to Saturday in the series's final game. It collected 12 hits and left nine on base, Cottrill replicated her .297 average and one RBI, and Adams and Lindsey each finished with averages just .02 away from Saturday’s. 

First baseman Kendyl Lindaman and third baseman Charla Echols had uncharacteristic, hitless performances. 

To head coach Tim Walton, it’s a great sign to see his team pull out a win even though they went hitless. 

“I’m really happy to see other contributions from everybody,” Walton said. “Not just from one person but from everybody in the lineup.”

The Gators hit the road for a midweek rematch against Jacksonville Wednesday before they head to Athens to face Georgia. 

Contact Rachel Slay at rslay@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter @racheljslay