COVID 19  |  UF

COVID-19 Update: On-campus testing still at 1% positivity rate

Quarantine numbers continue a descent started in the last two weeks

<p>COVID-19 graphic seen here.</p>

COVID-19 graphic seen here.

Rounding out the last week of classes before final exams, UF’s on-campus COVID-19 testing has remained at a 1% positivity rate and quarantine numbers have continued to drop. 

From April 12 to Tuesday, nine UF employees and 70 students have tested positive for the virus — about half the number of employees and the same number of students who tested positive last week.

As of Monday, the university recorded 9,816 total positive tests since it began keeping track last March. This semester, 2,606 UF faculty, staff, students and other affiliates tested positive. Tests performed at on-campus locations have remained at a 1% seven-day average positivity rate. 

The number of COVID-19 tests will also fall as more individuals become vaccinated, cutting more UF affiliates from routine testing. 

Quarantines on- and off- campus dropped significantly, continuing last week’s trend. In total, 299 people are isolating as of Monday— the second lowest number trend for the semester since 221 on March 8. On-campus quarantine availability has stayed at 98% since April 14. 

UF Health Shands Hospital had 11.54% adult ICU availability (30 beds) on Tuesday, and North Florida Regional Medical Center had 12.50% (three beds), according to the Agency for Health Care Administration of Florida.   

A total of 101,012, or about 38% of county residents, have been vaccinated as of Tuesday, according to the Alachua County COVID-19 dashboard. Of these residents, 29,380 have received one dose and 71,632 have received two.

Contact Manny Rea at mrea@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @ReaManny.

Manny Rea

Manny Rea is a journalism sophomore and the current health reporter for The Alligator. He worked as a copy editor in his freshman year before moving over to the Avenue in summer 2020. He likes to listen to dollar-bin records and read comics, and he is patiently waiting to go back to movies and concerts.