Curia on the Drag brings newest drag show to the Gainesville community

Saturday’s Drag Brunch event was dedicated to food, entertainment and fun

Drag Queen performer Ceazia Giovanni Kreshé gets tipped for her dance moves.

Lip syncing, dancing and fashion statements brought Gainesville community members together for food and entertainment during Drag Brunch Saturday. 

The event took place at Curia on the Drag located at 2029 NW 6th St., and it consisted of an afternoon filled with vegan breakfast, coffee, mimosas and drag performances. 

New to Gainesville, Saturday’s event was its third appearance to the community.

The show started in March when Curia on the Drag general manager April Williams was approached to hold an outdoor event in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Drag Brunch was the first event they tried, and after receiving positive feedback, they continued the event.

Williams said even though the show is so new, every show this far has been sold out. 

Due to COVID-19 precautions, the event was capped at 45 people, but masks were not required because it was an outdoor event.

Five performers entertained the audience that afternoon with dance moves, music and eccentric fashion. 

One performer, Tiana Avionce Black, has been doing drag for nine years. Before her performance, Black expressed her excitement towards the show.

“This has been one of the best drag experiences I've had in a long time,” Black said. “The atmosphere is amazing. It's fun; it just makes you feel good.” 

Portions of the show included audience members’ involvement, and several people were pulled on stage throughout the drag queens’ lip-sync performances. 

Louise Bielecki, a second-year UF student on the physical therapy track, was one of the audience members brought on stage to dance with the performer and host of the event Cindi Television.  

“It was a lot of fun,” Bielecki said. “I was pointing to myself. I wanted to get pulled on stage. I liked it.”

Black said she hopes the show will continue to be something “prosperous” and that those who “feel unwanted or uncared for” can attend.

“All events I do or I’m a part of are a free space,” Black said. “It doesn’t matter if you’re queer, bi, gay, upside down, you’re welcome. It’s a safe space. You can come, let your mind run wild and be free from the stresses of the week.” 

Shows will continue this summer and take place on a Saturday once a month during two different time slots–11 a.m. and  2 p.m.  

Information on ticketing and updates can be found on its Facebook page. 

You can contact and follow Alexis @Alexis_Carson99 on Twitter.

Alexis Carson

Alexis Carson is a third-year journalism major and staff writer with the Avenue. In her free time, she loves watching horror movies and going to concerts.