One man is dead after shooting at a Gainesville car wash

Police are still searching for a man who fatally shot a 36-year-old man at the Swamp Car Wash Saturday

<p>Balloons were tied to the sign of Swamp Car Wash in memory of Bobby Hopkins Jr., on Thursday, May 27, 2021. </p>

Balloons were tied to the sign of Swamp Car Wash in memory of Bobby Hopkins Jr., on Thursday, May 27, 2021.

A 22-year-old male who fatally shot another man at the Swamp Car Wash at 912 E University Ave May 22 was charged with second degree murder Tuesday.

Eugene Javon Patrick turned himself in to the Alachua County Jail Tuesday, more than a week after fatally shooting 36-year-old Bobby Bernard Hopkins, Jr. in the chest, according to a Gainesville Police Department press release.

On May 22, GPD received a call at 12:46 p.m. about a shooting at the Swamp Car Wash. The shooter fled the scene after the incident, GPD spokesperson Graham Glover said.  

The 911 caller, who was a close friend of Hopkins, told police he took Hopkins to UF Health Shands Hospital Emergency Room. 

Hopkins died later that day. 

After police identified Patrick as the shooter, an arrest warrant was issued May 25 for Patrick.

On Thursday, GPD’s SWAT team executed a search warrant for evidence at Patrick’s house. However, Patrick was not there.

A week after the warrant was issued, Patrick turned himself in. In the press release, GPD said they appreciate some Gainesville residents reaching out with information relating to the case. 

Glover said it is still unclear what caused the shooting. 

Patrick’s jail bond is set at $1 million.

GPD detectives are still actively investigating and ask anyone who has knowledge of evidence relevant to this case to contact GPD Detective J. Castor at: 352-872-2101 or the Alachua County Crime Stoppers at: 352-372-7867.

This article has been updated with new information.

Contact Jake Reyes at jreyes@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @frlJakeReyes.