Shelton, Stump win ITA honors

Bryan Shelton and Tanner Stump named Coach and Assistant Coach of the Year by ITA

Florida head coach Bryan Shelton and assistant coach Tanner Stump won their respective coach of the year honors from the ITA after an undefeated conference season and a national championship.

Florida men’s tennis continues to rack in the awards.

Hot off the heels of a national championship, men’s tennis coaches Bryan Shelton and Tanner Stump were awarded ITA National Coach of the Year honors Monday.

Shelton was named ITA Coach of the Year for leading Florida to its first national title in program history. He has received the honor once before in 2007, after he led Georgia Tech’s women’s tennis program to a national championship. 

Shelton’s recent triumph as a Gator made him the first head coach in D1 collegiate tennis history to win both a women’s and men’s national championship. 

Tanner Stump earned his first Assistant Coach of the Year honors in his fifth year with Florida tennis. Under his assistance in that time, the men’s team gradually improved their national finishes each season.

In 2017, his first year with the program, Florida made the Sweet 16. In 2018, the team reached the Elite 8. Florida reached the Final 4 in 2019 before being crowned national champions in 2021.

Under Shelton and Stump’s tenure, Florida tennis is 104-29, enjoyed undefeated conference seasons in 2019 and 2021 and won their first conference championship since 2005. Six different Gators have earned a total of 17 All-American honors in that span.

The team’s 26 wins this season marked the second-most in program history and the best mark of Shelton’s tenure.

Contact Ryan Zehnder at rzehnder@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @ryan_zehnder.