Skip to Content, Navigation, or Footer.
We inform. You decide.
Thursday, October 28, 2021

Suspect dies in burning home after deputies shot at him

The deputies involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave as an investigation into the incident continues.


A suspect was found dead in his burning home after Alachua County Sheriff Office deputies shot at him for threatening them.

It’s unclear how many shots were fired and if any of them hit the suspect, ACSO spokesperson Art Forgey said.

Andrew M. Markham Sr., 45, had a restraining order against him from a previous domestic violence case. The victim called 911 to complain that Markham violated the order by showing up at the home they both owned on Tuesday evening.

Forgey said the victim fled the residence, located at 9418 NE 69th Ave., when she saw Markham at the front door of the home.

When deputies arrived at the home at about 6:15 p.m., Markham armed himself with a large knife and screwdriver.

He raised the knife in a threatening manner to throw it at the deputies, according to an ACSO press release.

At about 6:20 p.m. two deputies fired shots at Markham following the threats, which led him to retreat inside the home.

A fire truck and ambulance from Alachua County Fire Rescue were called in after the shooting and arrived around 6:30 p.m.

Deputies told Markham to come out of the home as paramedics stood by. They saw movement in the home, but Markham refused to exit.

At about 8 p.m., deputies saw smoke and flames coming from the inside of the home.

Firefighters tried to put the fire out quick enough to provide Markham an escape. However, the fire eventually overtook the entire home.

ACFR put the fire out at 11:38 p.m., and deputies found Markham dead in the rubble of the fire. No one else was injured.

Enjoy what you're reading? Get content from The Alligator delivered to your inbox

The fire was intentionally started with a cigarette, according to the fire report. The estimated cost of damages is about $24,000.

Forgey said medical examiners collected Markham’s body and will conduct an autopsy to determine a cause of death.

Markham had other restraining orders against him, but the latest one was filed June 5 after he was arrested for violating another restraining order June 4. He was released from jail June 16, Forgey said.

In 1991, he was found guilty and charged with a third-degree felony after assaulting a police officer. According to Alachua County court records, other charges, including resisting arrest and aggravated battery, have been raised against him.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement launched an investigation into the incident Tuesday evening.

Because deputies were involved in the shooting, FDLE’s Office of Professional Standards will conduct an investigation into whether ACSO policies were followed.

ACSO placed both deputies on administrative leave pending the outcome of both investigations.

Contact Jake Reyes at Follow him on Twitter @frlJakeReyes.

Support your local paper
Donate Today
The Independent Florida Alligator has been independent of the university since 1971, your donation today could help #SaveStudentNewsrooms. Please consider giving today.

Powered by SNworks Solutions by The State News
All Content © 2021 The Independent Florida Alligator and Campus Communications, Inc.