Monday, September 27, 2021
Caeleb Dressel, of United States, celebrates after winning the gold medal in a men's 50-meter freestyle fiat the 2020 Summer Olympics, Sunday, Aug. 1, 2021, in Tokyo, Japan. At left Bruno Fratus, of Brazil, celebrates winning the bronze medal. (AP Photo/David Goldman)

Caeleb Dressel swam to gold in the 50-meter freestyle Saturday night with a 21.47 time. The former Gator outswam Florent Manauduo from France by a staggering .48 seconds. 

The human dynamo sprung into the race with a slower .63 reaction time but continued to build his lead 20 meters in. He didn’t take a breath the entire race.

Dressel narrowly missed his semifinals qualifying time of 21.42, but it was still more than enough to secure the victory. . He set world records in Tokyo already with the 100-meter butterfly time of 49.45 seconds. 

The former Florida phenomenon also won the 4x100 meter freestyle relay, the 100-meter freestyle and the 100-meter butterfly in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. 

The remaining 2020 Olympic swimming events can be found here.

Contact Faith Buckley at fbuckley@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @_faithbuckley

Faith Buckley

Faith Buckley is a first-year journalism student at UF and The Alligator's swimming and diving beat writer. She is specializing in sports media to one day hopefully work as an NHL commentator.