A Florida player touches his helmet during warmups before a game against Florida Atlantic on Sept. 4.

No. 1 Georgia waltzes into TIAA Bank Stadium in Jacksonville on the heels of seven straight dominant victories. Florida has lost three of its past five games and six of its past eight against Power 5 opponents tracking back to last season. Once the opening kick sails into the Duval County air, however, both teams start from scratch for their annual rivalry grudge match.

The Alligator’s football writers weigh in on the first Florida-Georgia game since 1942 to feature a top-ranked Bulldogs squad.

Ryan: This matchup is, uh, uneven.

Georgia hasn’t lost a game in 2021, Florida has lost three of its five conference games. The Gators defense allowed 21.14 points and 336.4 yards per game, the Bulldogs allowed 6.57 (!) points and 208.3 yards per game.

The red and black defense is historic and deserves all the national love it’s gotten this season, especially defensive tackle Jordan Davis, who you couldn’t pay me enough money to try and block for a single play. However, if the Gators stand a chance on Saturday, it’s through the smothering of the other side of the ball — the Bulldogs offense.

The offense, helmed by quarterbacks JT Daniels and Stetson Bennett IV (depending on Daniels’ health) hasn’t been pathetic by any stretch of the imagination this season. However, outside of a 62-0 beatdown of Vanderbilt, Georgia has averaged 35.25 points in its four SEC games thus far and has scored fewer points in each appearance. Head coach Kirby Smart’s squad only put 11 touchdowns on the board by virtue of his offense in his past three contests.

Does Georgia have the firepower to embarrass Florida? That remains to be seen. The bigger question might be if anyone can score on them enough to make it matter. Florida’s offense has impressed for most of the season, especially on the ground, but with a depleted offensive line and questions at quarterback, 30 points will be more than Georgia needs.

Bulldogs roll, 31-10.

Zachary: The Georgia Bulldogs will have Gator tail and lots of it Saturday at TIAA Bank Field.​ 

The Bulldogs enter the World’s Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party as the No. 1 team in the country and the runaway favorite to raise the College Football Playoff trophy in Indianapolis in January on the backs of their defense. Georgia has only given up 46 points total all season and no more than 13 in any one game. 

Meanwhile, Florida has treaded water as it sits unranked with a record of 4-3. Defensive coordinator Todd Grantham’s unit allowed 49 points in a seven-point loss to LSU two weeks ago. The 127th-best rushing unit at the time ran circles around the Gators’ defense to the tune of 321 yards, but that wasn’t all of the bad news for UF. 

Junior linebacker Mohamoud Diabate subtly pointed the finger at Grantham and his scheme after the LSU game. 

“That’s not my decision to make,” Diabate said when asked about the game plan and adjustments made. “I don’t look into those things. I’m like a soldier. When the general tells me where to shoot, I shoot. I don’t really ask too many questions. That’s y’all’s job.”

Diabate’s one of the leaders of the unit, and other top players like defensive lineman Antonio Shelton and Daquan Newkirk followed suit in media this week, pinning the blame on the scheme. It seems like Grantham is losing control over his unit. 

On the flip side, because of the previously mentioned factors, question marks at the quarterback position and UGA’s stout defense, the Bulldogs trounce the Gators, 35-7. 

Michael: Florida’s offense has been productive this season, averaging 501.9 yards per game, the second-most in the SEC. However, it has yet to face any team close to Georgia. 

The Bulldogs allow just 6.6 points and 207.1 yards per game. Their dominant front seven has shut down all opposing attacks. Kentucky took down UF 20-13, but Georgia handled Kentucky 30-13 and allowed just 51 yards on the ground. UGA has outscored its last three opponents — then-No. 8 Arkansas, then-No. 18 Auburn and then-No. 11 Kentucky — 101-23.

Led by a defensive line that includes Devonte Wyatt, Jalen Carter and, of course, Jordan Davis, Georgia has wreaked havoc on opposing backfields. Davis has even received Heisman buzz, which former Bulldog and current Gator Brenton Cox Jr is in support of.

“Oh, yeah, I'm all for it, give him the Heisman,” Cox Jr. told media Tuesday. “I’ve seen him improve over the years… Everything looks good. Good guy. Good player.”

It doesn’t get any easier on the back end. The Bulldogs’ secondary has given up 144.9 passing yards, the second-least in the country. They boast the highest PFF coverage grade in the country (94.5) as well. UGA is dominant in every aspect of its defensive game, and Florida will struggle to move the ball regardless of who plays quarterback. Oh, and the ‘Dawgs can move the ball, too.

Georgia will score early and often, and the Gators will not be able to keep up. UF might keep it close early, but this will be a blowout by the third quarter. Somehow, Vegas has this spread at 14 in favor of Georgia. I think UGA wins by at least three scores: 37-13, Bulldogs.

Contact Ryan Haley at rhaley@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @ryan_dhaley

Contact Zachary Huber at zhuber@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @zacharyahuber.

Contact Michael Hull at mhull@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @Michael_Hull33.

Michael Hull

Michael Hull is a fourth-year journalism sports & media major and a sports writer at The Alligator. He hosts the weekly sports podcast and has worked on staff for five semesters. In the past, Hull has served as the sports editor, the men's and women's golf beat writer, the volleyball beat writer and the football beat writer. 

Ryan Haley

Ryan Haley, a UF journalism senior with a sports & media specialization from Jacksonville, Florida, is Summer 2022's Engagement Managing Editor. He grew up playing a bunch of different sports before settling on golf, following Rory McIlroy and all Philadelphia sports teams. He also loves all things fiction, reading, watching shows and movies and talking about whatever current story or character is in his head.

DM Ryan on Twitter or shoot him an email.