Women’s golf closes out fall season at The Ally

Florida will look to finish in the top three for the fourth tournament in a row

Florida Gators women's golf coach Emily Glaser on Monday, February 22, 2021 at the Mark Bostick Golf Course in Gainesville, FL. Photo courtesy of the UAA.

After entering the fall season as the No. 17 team in the nation according to GolfWeek, the Florida Gators rocketed into the top 10 after three tournaments. 

Entering their final meet of the fall season as the No. 8 team in the country, Florida wraps up its fall season in West Point, Mississippi, at The Ally at Old Waverly.

With a field mostly consisting of fellow Southeastern Conference foes, the Gators will get another shot at topping No. 3 Arkansas and other SEC powers.

The story of the team for the fall has been consistency regardless of the field or the course, Florida has managed to hold its place on the podium in each of the three tournaments so far. 

While head coach Emily Glaser and her team haven’t been able to clinch a tournament victory, the top-three finishes show signs of the stability a team needs to survive a year-long season. When the team begins its final tournament of 2021 on Monday, it will hope to rely on that continuity.

While no player in the lineup’s armor appears to lag behind or underperform, junior Jackie Lucena changed her trajectory from the bottom of the lineup to a second-overall finish in the last tournament. A transfer from California-Davis, Lucena turned in the best performance of her brief time at Florida at the Windy City Classic in Illinois. Now, Lucena has the chance to show this week if she can sustain that elite caliber of play.

While the Gators will avoid one of the top teams in the SEC teams in No. 5 South Carolina, Florida will once again face the Razorbacks. In the opening tournament of the year, the Cougar Classic, Arkansas coasted to a tournament victory and finished 10 strokes above the third-place Gators. 

A tournament win for Florida would place an exclamation mark on a quality fall from the Gators.

Contact Carson Cashion at ccashion@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter at @carsoncashion.

Carson Cashion

Carson Cashion is a third-year sports journalism major at UF, and the sports editor at The Alligator for the 2022 summer semester. A native of Altamonte Springs, Carson spends his free time walking his dog, Baxter, and listening to good music. He is an avid Tennessee sports fan, and eagerly awaits watching one of his teams win a championship for the first time.