Florida goes undefeated in San Juan Shootout with George Washington win

The Gators leap past the Colonials, 61-50 in Puerto Rico

<p>Florida&#x27;s Kiara Smith during a game against Alabama on Feb. 18, 2021. Smith will not compete with the team in the NCAA Tournament due to a season-ending injury.</p>

Florida's Kiara Smith during a game against Alabama on Feb. 18, 2021. Smith will not compete with the team in the NCAA Tournament due to a season-ending injury.

While the Florida Gators’ women’s basketball team (6-2) has been characterized as a third-quarter team, but it was the second quarter that propelled Florida to a 61-50 victory against George Washington (4-3) in Puerto Rico Saturday to round out the San Juan Shootout.

Florida was coming off an offensive explosion against Saint Louis where they plopped themselves in the driver's seat from start to finish to open up the San Juan Shootout.

In the 69-54 victory over the Billikens, Gators sophomore Jordyn Merritt finished with a game-high 13 points, and graduate student Kiara Smith put up 11 points to go with five rebounds.

Florida built a seven-point lead in the first quarter against the Billikens and rode that early momentum to a definitive victory. Saturday’s game could not have started differently. 

The Gators immediately entered into a staring competition with the Colonials in the opening frame. Each team exchanged blows, not giving the other opponent an inch. 

Junior Lavender Briggs and freshman Floor Toonders carried most of the scoring for the Gators. Briggs dropped six points, and Toonders put up four of her own to help Florida end the quarter only down 15-12. 

Aurea Gingras and Ty Moore from George Washington each put up four points of their own to keep their team in front, and Florida’s four-game winning streak sat in early jeopardy.

The Gators and Colonials looked primed to drag out this battle in Puerto Rico. But, as most staring contests usually end, someone finally blinked.

In the second quarter, Florida outscored the Colonials 21-13, and Merritt scored seven points off the bench. Webster cut the lead to eight with a seemingly momentum-changing three-point, but Smith quickly answered by draining a three of her own. 

Florida senior Emanuely De Oliveira compiled a respectable eight points through three quarters and continued to be a reliable scorer for the Gators throughout the game. The Gators ended the quarter in complete control, now up 51-36 with the struggles of the first quarter long forgotten.

Despite being outscored 14-10 in the fourth, the orange and blue managed to pull away with the victory. Florida ended the game with 30 points in the paint and 15 steals to knock the wheels off the Colonials, leaving Puerto Rico with an 11-point win.

Florida continues its extended road trip on Dec. 1 as they travel to Fairfax, Virginia to face George Mason University. The game will begin at 7 p.m. and can be streamed live on ESPN+.

Contact Brenda Bogle at bbogle@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @bogle_brenda.

Brenda Bogle

Brenda Bogle is a UF journalism senior with a specialization in sports and media. She joined The Alligator in the Fall of 2021.