Santa Fe College reported 195 COVID-19 cases in the last week

Nine employees and 186 students tested positive for the virus

Santa Fe College reported 195 positive COVID-19 cases from students and employees from Jan. 11 to Monday. 

There were 32 more cases this week than last, said Lela Frye, Santa Fe’s director of human resources. 

The college’s total number of reported cases since March 2020 is now 1,500. This week’s case numbers make up 13% of the total cases at Santa Fe.

Santa Fe requests that all students and faculty continue to comply with its exposure policy by reporting symptoms and exposures and staying home when experiencing symptoms or after exposure when not vaccinated, Frye said.

Masks are not required on campus, but the college strongly encourages all students and faculty to wear masks indoors, practice physical distancing and get vaccinated, said Jay Anderson, Santa Fe’s communications manager.

Santa Fe College will soon announce details on another COVID-19 vaccination incentive for students, faculty and staff. The spring vaccination incentive may or may not be similar to the one they implemented in the fall, Anderson said.

Current Santa Fe students and employees who confirmed their vaccination status in the fall were awarded a one-time, non-recurring $60 payment and became eligible to win additional prizes such as a bookstore voucher or a parking spot on campus, according to the Today @ Santa Fe website

Contact Lily Kino at lkino@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @lily_kino.

Lily Kino

Lily is a third-year journalism major with a concentration in environmental science covering criminal justice for The Alligator. Last semester, she served as the Santa Fe reporter. When she's not writing, you can find Lily on a nature walk, eating Domino's Pizza or spending time with her friends.