Tuesday, March 19, 2024

A social media threat spurred officers to investigate Turlington Hall

UPD concluded there was no danger

Students walk through Turlington Plaza in between classes on Monday, Aug. 23, 2021. Monday marked the beginning of the Fall semester at UF.

Editor's Note: This article contains mentions of suicide and selfharm.

A social media post on Yik Yak Wednesday night spurred University Police Department officers to investigate Turlington Hall at about 9:30 a.m. Thursday morning.

The post alluded to a suicide in the building or around the area, and it was not threatenining to other students, UF spokesperson Hessy Fernandez said.

“UFPD actively investigated the posts and identified the person who made the posts,” Fernandez said. 

UPD connected the person who posted the suicide threat to appropriate UF resources, she said.

Student group chats, like UF Alpha Phi General Chat and Alpha Epsilon Delta Social Board, warned other members in their group to stay away from the area. 

Police increased patrols in the area and did not see any dangers to students, Fernandez said.

UPD notified faculty, office managers and professors in Turlington Hall Thursday morning, Fernandez said, but no classes were canceled.

UPD encourages everyone to say something if they see something, Fernandez said.

Resources are available to students: CARE Area, GatorWell, UFPD Office of Victim Services and Counseling and Wellness Center

Contact Troy Myers at @tmyers@alligator.org or follow him on Twitter @Troy_Myers1.

Troy Myers

Troy is the criminal justice reporter and a fourth-year journalism major with an outside focus in business administration. He previously studied accounting for two years at Santa Fe College but has since transferred to UFCJC. When Troy isn’t writing, he enjoys going to the beach and spending time with his dog, identical twin brother and family.