Two arrested after shooting at Gainesville apartment complex

No one was injured after the shooting at Pavilion on 62nd apartment complex

Generic Crime 1.PNG
Generic Crime 1.PNG

A19-year-old and a 17-year-old were arrested by Gainesville police after a shooting at Pavilion on 62nd on Monday night.

Ajaquan Walker, 19, is being held at the Alachua County Jail with a $10,000 bond. Walker is charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. An unnamed juvenile, a 17-year-old, is charged with attempted murder. 

None of the people shot at were injured, Gainesville Police Department spokesperson Graham Glover said. 

The pair planned to rob a neighbor’s apartment, according to the arrest report. When the neighbor’s friend confronted him, an argument broke out.

Another unnamed victim was nearby holding her baby and tried to calm Walker and the unnamed juvenile down. 

As the argument escalated, Walker shot at the victim as he ran toward his parked car, while also shooting at the other victim and her baby, the arrest report said. 

Law enforcement officers arrived around 9 p.m., took Walker and the unnamed juvenile into custody and found bullet casings near the victim’s car, according to the arrest report.

Walker told officers he pointed a firearm at the victims but never fired it. He claimed the unnamed juvenile with him was the one to fire his weapon.

Walker told officers he suspects the unnamed juvenile opened fire because he thought the victim was running to his vehicle to get his own firearm.

Both are in custody still as of Tuesday night. 

Contact Troy Myers at @tmyers@alligator.org or follow him on Twitter @Troy_Myers1.

Troy Myers

Troy is the criminal justice reporter and a fourth-year journalism major with an outside focus in business administration. He previously studied accounting for two years at Santa Fe College but has since transferred to UFCJC. When Troy isn’t writing, he enjoys going to the beach and spending time with his dog, identical twin brother and family.