Florida bounces back to claim series victory against Texas A&M

Gators overpower the Aggies on the road Sunday following a shutout loss

<p>The Florida Gators softball team avoided the sweep Monday night by handing No. 5 Alabama a 2-1 loss.</p>

The Florida Gators softball team avoided the sweep Monday night by handing No. 5 Alabama a 2-1 loss.

Florida found themselves in a less than ideal situation in its series-deciding matchup against Texas A&M Sunday in College Station, Texas. Entering the fourth inning, the Aggies possessed a 2-1 lead and looked primed to take control of the game.

Florida senior Cheyenne Lindsey quickly changed that narrative as she hit a critical home run towards right field, which resulted in three runs for Gators and a 4-2 lead. 

Florida (25-3, 4-2) took off from that point on and defeated Texas A&M (17-10, 1-5) 11-3 to clinch the series. 

Lindsey’s homer was the beginning of a powerful and efficient hitting performance for Florida, as they ended the inning with five runs and four hits. Freshman Sam Roe and redshirt senior Kinsey Goelz scored one run apiece in the game-defining inning as Florida entered the bottom of the fourth up 6-2.

The Aggies remained scoreless in the fourth, only producing one hit before retiring the inning. 

Texas A&M sophomore Grace Uribe took over pitching duties from freshman Emiley Kennedy, but was unable to throw Florida hitters off balance. Goelz and Lindsey continued their dominance, each notching a run in the fifth inning, extending Florida's lead 8-2.

Aggies senior Hayley Lee got her team back on the scoreboard with a solo home run at the bottom of the fifth, but this show of life was not enough to stop the Gators from claiming the series.

Florida freshman Reagan Walsh completed her own three-run home run similar to that of Lindsey’s earlier in matchup to ice the game for the Gators. With an 11-3 advantage to close out the sixth inning, Florida ultimately proved to be too much for the Aggies to handle.

Florida will hit the road again as it faces Stetson Tuesday at 6 p.m before hosting the Hatters at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium the following day at the same time. 

These two teams were originally scheduled to face off March 16, but harsh weather kept them from hitting the field.

This in-state matchup in Deland, Florida, can be streamed live on ESPN+. Action from Gainesville will be available on SEC Network +. 

Contact Brenda Bogle at bbogle@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @bogle_brenda.

Brenda Bogle

Brenda Bogle is a UF journalism senior with a specialization in sports and media. She joined The Alligator in the Fall of 2021.