Man accused of taking videos of women without consent at UF arrested

Deontre Mason was extradited from Illinois

Freshmen flooded residence halls this week. Many were unaware of the on-campus voyeurism case from six months ago. 

Police booked the man who allegedly took videos of 18 women in bathroom stalls, showers and stairwells on UF’s campus at the Alachua County Jail Tuesday.

Deontre Mason, a 25-year-old Illinois resident, recorded a woman showering in Murphree Hall in December. He also allegedly filmed in Library West.

UF trespassed him from all properties from February to December 2024, and Alachua County court issued a warrant against Mason in late March.

The University of Central Florida Police Department arrested Mason for similar voyeurism allegations in December 2021. Mason admitted to recording a woman over the stall divider in a bathroom at UCF. In 2020, he was banned from Palm Beach Atlantic University for wandering the women’s dormitory. 

He also had a warrant put out for his arrest for alleged voyeurism at the University of Kentucky, according to court records. 

Local law enforcement arrested Mason in his home state, Illinois, in early June, Alachua County Sheriff’s Office spokesperson Kaley Behl said. A private transport company brought him to Florida. 

Mason faces nine counts of video voyeurism and had his first Alachua County court appearance Wednesday. His next court appearance is set for July 7. 

Contact Omar at oateyah@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @OAteyah.

Omar Ateyah

Omar Ateyah is a third-year journalism student and the Alligator's Race and Equity reporter. He previously served as the Alligator's crime reporter and as a news assistant on the Metro Desk. He enjoys going on long, thoughtful walks.