Recent public masturbation highlights problems plaguing Gainesville apartment complex

Gainesville Place Apartments has a history of sexual misconduct issues

Police are investigating the fourth reported incident of public masturbation at Gainesville Place Apartments this year. 

A woman sitting in her car at the complex, which is about three miles from campus and popular among students,  saw a Black man in his late twenties or early thirties masturbating near her vehicle Tuesday night, Gainesville Police Department spokesperson Graham Glover said. 

The victim told police she screamed and the incident went on for about 45 seconds before the suspect left. He has not been taken into police custody. 

Gainesville Place Apartments, located at 2800 SW 35th Place, had more than 60 incidents of criminal activity reported at the complex in the last two years, according to a Summer 2021 report from the Alligator. The report included multiple allegations of public masturbation. 

A woman was sexually assaulted by a man who grabbed her as she entered her apartment last September. 

On March 30, a man allegedly masturbated near the 900 building of the complex. No evidence was found to substantiate the claim, and the case was closed. 

On April 16, five people saw a man masturbating while lying on his side. The man followed the five victims as they rushed back to their apartment, according to a GPD incident report. Three of the victims said they could not identify the man when questioned by police. 

Another indecent exposure was reported seven days later. The incident report did not contain case details. 

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Contact Omar at oateyah@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @OAteyah.   

Omar Ateyah

Omar Ateyah is a third-year journalism student and the Alligator's Race and Equity reporter. He previously served as the Alligator's crime reporter and as a news assistant on the Metro Desk. He enjoys going on long, thoughtful walks.