Beth Wu named to women’s golf coaching staff

The two-time All-American joins Florida after three years playing on the Epson Tour.

<p>Head coach Emily Glaser announced Brenda Wu as the new UF women&#x27;s golf assistant coach Tuesday.</p>

Head coach Emily Glaser announced Brenda Wu as the new UF women's golf assistant coach Tuesday.

Beth Wu was named an assistant coach for the Florida women’s golf team, head coach Emily Glaser announced Tuesday

Wu, a native of Diamond Bar, California, was a member of the UCLA women’s golf team from 2015-2019. During her time with the Bruins, she was awarded two Women’s Golf Coaches Association All-American honorable mentions in her freshman and senior seasons, as well as four All-Pac-12 honorable mentions. Wu notched two collegiate wins in her senior year, including the prestigious PING/ASU invitational. 

“Thank you Coach Glaser and the University Athletic Association for the opportunity to begin my coaching career in Gainesville,” Wu said. “I look forward to using my professional, competitive experience to help the team continue to succeed.”

The addition comes after former UF assistant coach Janice Olivencia left Gainesville to become the head women’s golf coach at Miami on June 13.

Wu played professionally on the Epson Tour for the past three years. She posted four top-10 finishes, including two runner-up outings in 2021 at the Garden City Charity Classic and the Donald Ross Classic. Last year she finished 11th on the Epson Tour money list. Earlier this year, she competed at the 2022 U.S. Women’s Open in Southern Pines, North Carolina. 

“I'm thrilled to welcome Beth to our Gator family,” Glaser said. “I’ve known of Beth for some time for being an outstanding junior and amateur golfer. But what became evident during the hiring process was her high golf acumen and most importantly her desire to help people succeed.”

Wu looks to help the Gators get over the hump to compete for a title as the team narrowly missed the NCAA Championship last season.

Contact Brandon Hernandez at bhernandez@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @BranH2001.

Brandon Hernandez

Brandon Hernandez is currently the enterprise sports writer and sports podcast host for The Independent Alligator. He likes long walks on the sidewalk and watching basketball tape in his off time. You can find most of his work @BranH2001 on X and on The Courtside Podcast on Spotify.