Gators losing streak hits longest in school history after Arkansas defeat

Florida was shut out again after another conceding an early goal

Senior goalkeeper Francesca Faraci filled in for starting goalkeeper Alexa Goldberg left Florida's match against Arkansas with an injury Thursday, Oct. 6, 2022.

It took the Arkansas Razorbacks less than 10 minutes to get on the scoreboard and seal the Gators’ fate.

Razorbacks Forward Sophia Aragon’s shot rebounded off of the right post and into forward Jessica De Filippo’s feet. The ricochet led to an easy goal for De Filippo after UF junior goalkeeper Alexa Goldberg was caught out of position by the initial shot. 

The Gators (2-10-0, 0-5 SEC) were shut out for the fourth straight match after a 1-0 defeat to the No. 9 Razorbacks (9-2-1, 4-1 SEC) Thursday night. The loss pushes UF’s losing streak seven matches, the longest in school history.

Florida Head Coach Samantha Bohon said it was disappointing to concede the early goal, but was proud of her team’s efforts to stay composed and shut out Arkansas for the rest of the match. 

“They just fought for each other and played very connected,” Bohon said. 

Later in the match, Arkansas forward Ava Tankersly found a chance in the middle of the box, but Goldberg dove forward to save the shot. 

The Razorbacks dominated possession in the first half, with the ball staying on Florida’s half for a majority of the first 45 minutes. 

Towards halftime, Goldberg went down with an injury after she ran out of her goal to defend a one-on-one chance from an Arkansas attacker. Goldberg dove forward to save the ball and while in the action ran into the Razorbacks player. She left the match with five saves. 

Bohon said Goldberg received treatment at halftime, but she didn’t feel like it was the right decision to put her back in the match. 

Backup senior goalkeeper Francesca Faraci filled in for Goldberg and made a save late in the first half from Arkansas defender Reagan Swindall, who shot the ball from the left of the box. 

Florida’s first shot of the match came just before the half. UF forward Erica Roberts received the ball at the left side of the box. Her window to get an open shot quickly closed as her shot hit off of an Arkansas defender out of bounds. 

The visitors dominated the first half, controlling most of the possession and recording nine shots with seven on goal compared to the Gator’s lone shot. 

The Gators started the second half chasing the match. The Razorbacks took three shots in the first 15 minutes of the second half, including a header from midfielder Bea Franklin that went right into Faraci’s gloves. 

About an hour into the match, Florida found two chances at goal. Forwards Kouri Peace and Alivia Gonzalez both found space and took quick shots, but both went straight to goalkeeper Grace Barbara.

Florida had an opportunity late to tie the match. Forward Tessa Barton took the ball down the left sideline, but her through ball missed any Gators players and the Arkansas goalkeeper secured it.

Arkansas controlled the match for the full 90 minutes. The Razorbacks outshot the Gators 18 to three. Faraci kept Arkansas from scoring in the second half and compiled six saves. 

“The biggest thing for me personally, was that my teammates were there for me,” Faraci said. “I would not have been able to do it without them.” 

The Gators next match will be on the road against the Missouri Tigers Sunday at 2 p.m. It will broadcast on the SEC Network.

Contact Jackson Reyes at jacksonreyes@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @JacksnReyes.

Jackson Reyes

Jackson Reyes is a UF journalism senior and The Alligator's Fall 2023 Sports Editor. He previously served as Digital Managing Editor and was a reporter and assistant editor on the sports desk. In his free time, he enjoys collecting records, long walks on the beach and watching Bo Nix.