Florida linebacker Diwun Black dismissed from team

The junior defender is the second Gator dismissed from the program this season

<p>Florida Gators alternate white football helmet.</p>

Florida Gators alternate white football helmet.

Florida linebacker Diwun Black was dismissed from the football program Wednesday, first reported by Zach Abolverdi. The former top-rated junior college player in the country is no longer listed on the Gators roster. 

Black is the second player to be dismissed from the team after linebacker Brenton Cox Jr. was dismissed on Oct. 31.

“Being a football player at the University of Florida is a privilege,” Napier said after Cox’s dismissal. “There’s certain expectations and standards that come with that.”

The junior linebacker played sparingly for Florida before his dismissal with seven career tackles across two seasons. Black’s biggest play for the Gators came this season against Tennessee when he recovered an onside kick to keep Florida’s brief comeback hopes alive.

Black originally committed to UF out of high school, but had to start his career at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College before eventually landing in Gainesville. After reports of his dismissal, the Kissimmee, Florida, native announced on Twitter he’s entered the transfer portal.

Redshirt junior tight end Griffin McDowell also announced Wednesday that he’ll be entering the portal. The Leesburg, Georgia, product played on special teams throughout his Florida career.

The Gators have now lost eight players either to dismissal or the transfer portal so far this year, with two regular season games and a bowl game left on the schedule. 

Florida travels to Nashville to face the Vanderbilt Commodores Saturday. Kickoff is scheduled for noon and will broadcast on the SEC Network. 

Contact Topher Adams at tadams@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @Topher_Adams.

Topher Adams

Topher Adams is a fourth-year communications major and in his fourth semester with the Alligator. He previously covered football, baseball and women's basketball. He also enjoys professional lacrosse and Major League Soccer.