Redshirt freshman tight end Nick Elksnis to transfer from Florida

The former three-star recruit never recorded a catch as a Gator

<p>A Florida football helmet, pictured during a game against Florida Atlantic on Sept. 4, 2021.</p>

A Florida football helmet, pictured during a game against Florida Atlantic on Sept. 4, 2021.

Redshirt freshman Florida tight end Nick Elksnis announced Tuesday that he will be entering the transfer portal at the end of the season. The Jacksonville product appeared in four games this season for the Gators, but he had no catches.

“Wearing the Orange and Blue has been a childhood dream come true,” Elksnis said in a statement on Twitter. “I am forever grateful for the foundation this team gave me in my college football career.”

Elksnis is the second offensive player to announce he’ll be leaving the Florida program this week after wide receiver Trent Whittemore entered his name into the transfer portal on Monday. Five players have either entered the portal or announced intentions to transfer this season.

The redshirt freshman tight end didn’t get a chance to make an impact in Gainesville, nursing a bevy of injuries during his time at UF. The former Penn State commit fell behind converted defensive lineman Dante Zanders and redshirt junior Keon Zipperer for playing time this fall.

Without Elksnis, Florida will continue to rely on Zanders, Zipperer and redshirt sophomore Jonathan Odom at tight end. Odom saw his first significant playing time the last two weeks, catching his first career touchdown against South Carolina.

The Gators end their Southeastern Conference schedule Saturday when they travel to face the Vanderbilt Commodores. Kickoff is scheduled for noon and the game will be broadcast on the SEC Network.

Contact Topher Adams at tadams@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @Topher_Adams.

Topher Adams

Topher Adams is a fourth-year communications major and in his fourth semester with the Alligator. He previously covered football, baseball and women's basketball. He also enjoys professional lacrosse and Major League Soccer.