Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Interested in joining The Alligator? Spring 2023 applications are now live

We're hiring editors, reporters, photographers and social media strategists

<p>Join our Spring 2023 staff by applying today.</p>

Join our Spring 2023 staff by applying today.

Are you interested in growing your career in media and communications? Are you ready to join a network with alumni at organizations like the New York Times, Washington Post and Wall Street Journal? The Independent Florida Alligator is looking for its next team of reporters, editors, photographers, social media strategists and more for the Spring semester. 

The Alligator is an entirely student-run and editorially independent newspaper covering the UF and greater Gainesville community. The staff is made up of reporters, editors, photographers and designers from UF and Santa Fe College with varying levels of journalism and college experience. Each semester, The Alligator hires a new staff for the duration of the semester. We’re hiring for Spring 2023. A new staff will be hired for Summer 2023 around April.

The Alligator will be operating primarily in person with weekly mandatory staff meetings in the newsroom and staff socials throughout the semester. Editor meetings will also be held in person at the newsroom three times a week to budget content for newsletters and the paper. There will be a Zoom option for staff meetings, but staff members are expected to attend meetings in person when possible. The meeting method for desk meetings will be at the discretion of individual editors and their teams. 

The Alligator is a digital-first newsroom. We strive to deliver engaging online content to our audience, and we highly value innovative ways to tell stories and integrate multimedia components to our work. Staff members are expected to produce daily content for the website and newsletters. In addition to our online content, The Alligator prints once a week on Sundays, with plans to maintain weekly print-production during the Spring semester.

Alligator reporters regularly cover high-profile, national events. Over the course of the past year, we covered local and statewide primary and midterm elections, UF’s presidential search that led to the selection of President-elect Ben Sasse and the impact of Roe v. Wade’s overturn in the community. The Alligator’s work has been referenced in national outlets such as The Washington Post, NPR and The New York Times

Our newsroom fosters the fundamental ideals of journalism: Not accepting things at face value, answering tough questions and telling important stories. 

Important coverage is sure to continue in the Spring semester, and we want you to be a part of it. Packed with issues like President-elect Ben Sasse’s first semester on campus, the future of climate change and Student Government executive elections, we’re looking for a group of passionate individuals who want to inform the community about what matters most to them. We’re also looking to expand our enterprise content, and we need reporters and editors who want to promote accountability through in-depth investigative pieces on what’s going on in the local area.

Being part of The Alligator staff connects students to a large, diverse and distinguished alumni network. Alligator alumni have gone on to positions, fellowships and professional internships at The New York Times, Washington Post, CNN, The Daily Beast, Miami Herald, Tampa Bay Times, Orlando Sentinel, Sun Sentinel, The Palm Beach Post and more. Our alumni include this year’s New York Times fellows, Kalia Richardson and April Rubin, as well as at least four Pulitzer Prize Winners. 

Beyond joining an expansive alumni network, working at The Alligator is a great opportunity to meet other passionate student journalists and make lifelong friendships. Hundreds of successful journalists, authors, writers and more started their careers at The Alligator. We’re ready to continue that tradition and build the next generation of Alligator journalists. Now’s your chance to join! 

Please read through the positions we’re hiring for.

Application tips from the Editor-in-Chief:

• All applications are due Tuesday, Nov. 29 at 11:59 p.m.

• Please submit one application per section. For example, you can apply to be an editor, a staff writer and a photographer, but don't do two applications if you want to apply for two reporting positions. There will be space to declare your preferences in the Google Form.

• Submit your Google Form. If you have difficulties uploading your resume, clips or class schedule, you can email them to ahalaly@alligator.org.

• Only submit three to five of your best clips. 

• If you're applying to a multimedia position, submit or send us your portfolio.

• Pay attention to your grammar and our directions. Read everything twice.

• If you’re on the fence about applying, let us know. We’d be happy to answer any questions or concerns you have. You can reach the Editor-in-Chief by emailing ahalaly@alligator.org.

Editor Applications

Click HERE to apply.

Applications are due Tuesday, Nov. 29 at 11:59 p.m. We recommend you apply well before the deadline. 

Features and Investigations Editor

The features editor will be responsible for working one-on-one with reporters across the newsroom to produce in-depth feature or investigative stories. The ideal candidate should be ambitious, organized and able to utilize Florida’s open record laws. This editor should be a problem solver with creative ideas to work around reporting challenges. This editor will not oversee a team directly, and will instead work individually with reporters on different desks. One feature story per week is expected to be published in our weekly Feature Friday newsletter. Journalism majors are preferred, but all majors are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.

Pay: About $40 a week.

News Director

The news director will be proactive about maintaining a roster of contributing writers and photographers at UF and Santa Fe College. When a story is unable to be covered by our staff, this editor will find someone to fill the gap. The editor will also be responsible for sending out weekly contributing writer emails with available assignments and guidance, as well as editing stories they receive. They will also do necessary outreach to reporting classes and professors, sorting through pitches and story drafts from freelancers to decide if they are worth publishing. The news director will also manage breaking news shifts by assigning reporters to daily shifts, guiding reporters through quick turnarounds and preliminarily editing briefs. 

Pay: About $20 a week.

University Editor

The university editor will lead The Alligator’s coverage on all things related to UF. This editor will manage the general assignment reporter, the Student Government reporter, the university administration reporter, the graduate and professional school reporter, the Santa Fe College reporter, and a general assignment reporter and news assistant. The ideal candidate is someone who is organized, passionate and committed to watching over the powers of the university administration and Student Government. This editor will edit stories for The Alligator’s weekly print product and daily online content. Stories assigned and edited should range from daily to enterprise news. Alligator staff writer or editor experience is preferred but not required. Journalism majors are preferred, but all majors are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.

Pay: About $50 a week.

Metro Editor

The metro editor will lead The Alligator’s coverage of the greater Gainesville and Alachua County community. This editor will manage and edit the criminal justice reporter, the City and County Commission reporter, the East Gainesville reporter, the rural Alachua County reporter, and the K-12 education reporter and a general assignment reporter and news assistant. Stories assigned and edited should range from daily to enterprise news. The ideal candidate is creative, organized and eager to dive into the Gainesville community outside UF. This editor should be prepared to find interesting and important local stories to deliver to Alligator readers. The metro editor will edit stories for The Alligator’s weekly print schedule and daily online content. Alligator staff writer or editor experience is preferred but not required. Journalism majors are preferred, but all majors are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.

Pay: About $50 a week.

Enterprise Editor

The enterprise editor will lead The Alligator’s coverage of many topics that pertain to both the UF and Gainesville community through overseeing enterprise reporters. This editor will assign and edit daily and feature stories pertaining to topics like state politics, the environment, race and identity and health. We are looking for a candidate who is passionate about leading investigative projects and pursuing accountability journalism. Alligator staff writer or editor experience is preferred but not required. Journalism majors are preferred, but all majors are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.

Pay: About $50 a week.

Multimedia Editors (Photo/Video, Graphics and Audio Editors)

Multimedia editors are responsible for working with photographers, graphic designers, reporters and videographers to provide multimedia content for the newspaper and website. Feel free to provide a link to your portfolio that showcases your specialty — whether that be graphic design, podcasting, photography, etc. Journalism majors are preferred, but all majors are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.

The photo/video editor is responsible for assigning photo and video assignments for staff photographers and videographer(s). Assignments include daily event coverage, enterprise photos, galleries, photo stories and video content. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about multimedia and is willing to collaborate with reporters to create content for each published story. 

The graphics editor is responsible for producing and assigning content to graphic designers. This includes graphics to be published alongside articles and promoted on social media, as well as more intricate designs to be used as wraps for special-edition papers. This editor will also likely be expected to take on graphics assignments when needed.

The audio editor is responsible for producing and editing all audio content for The Alligator. This includes hosting and producing Monday’s podcast recapping that week’s stories; producing the bimonthly Avenue and sports podcast; and working with reporters to edit short audio stories for the website. 

Pay: About $50 per week.

Copy Desk Chief

Copy desk chiefs are responsible for running the copy desk and selecting and working with copy editors. Copy desk chiefs are in charge of proofreading every story and print pages with copy editors to check for factual errors, grammar and AP style. This person will work on Sunday print nights. Prior experience on the copy desk is preferred but not required. All majors are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students. 

Pay: About $20 per night.

The Avenue Editor 

The Avenue editor is responsible for maintaining the entertainment section of the Alligator. The Alligator is looking for someone with creative ideas who is in tune with local and national entertainment and pop culture. We’re looking for someone who will push The Avenue’s coverage beyond event coverage and incorporate more feature stories into the section. Previous Avenue or entertainment writing experience is preferred but not required. Applicants must be a UF or Santa Fe College student. All majors are encouraged to apply.

Pay: About $50 per week.

Sports Editor

The sports editor is responsible for maintaining the sports section of The Alligator. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about athletics in Gainesville with creative ideas for both daily and enterprise content. The sports editor will oversee a team of beat writers who will also be expected to produce enterprise content. Some applicants may also be considered for assistant sports editor positions, serving as an extra hand during the busy Spring athletics schedule. Previous Alligator Sports experience or sports writing is preferred but not required. News writing experience beyond sports is also encouraged. Applicants must be a UF or Santa Fe College student. All majors are encouraged to apply.

Pay for Sports Editor: About $50 per week.

Opinions Editor

This editor is responsible for maintaining the opinions section of The Alligator, choosing columnists and cartoonists to contribute to the section and editing any work that is sent in. The opinions editor is also responsible for consulting with the editor-in-chief and managing editors about writing editorials for the print paper. There will be an emphasis on seeking out diverse opinion pieces from public figures and concerned citizens in and around Gainesville and the UF community. Columnist and editing experience is preferred but not required. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.

Pay: About $20 per week.

Reporter Applications

Click HERE to apply.

Applications are due Tuesday, Nov. 29 at 11:59 p.m. We recommend that you apply well before the deadline. 

Enterprise Reporter

Working under the enterprise editor, these reporters will be assigned to an interest area and produce both daily and longform stories, helping bridge gaps in coverage that don’t neatly fit into metro or university desks. Some topics that fall under Enterprise include  state politics, race and identity, the environment and health. Enterprise reporters across Florida cover beats like business, Florida history and LGBTQ communities. If you have an idea for what you might like to cover or what coverage gap you might like to fill, make sure to let us know in your application. A strong commitment to truth and accountability is essential for this role, and more experienced journalists are recommended to apply. In addition to producing standard-length stories, enterprise reporters will be expected to be working on longer-term projects for the semester. Previous staff writing/contributing writing experience is preferred but not required. Journalism majors are preferred, but all majors are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students. 

Pay: $6 per story.

University Administration Reporter

This reporter is responsible for covering UF’s new president-elect, Ben Sasse, , which will be a major developing story in the Spring semester. Attending the UF Board of Trustees meetings and writing about updates, changes or announcements dealing with the UF administration will be additional responsibilities. This reporter is also encouraged to dig into demographics of UF faculty, staff and students. This reporter will be assigned stories related to this beat by the university editor but should also pitch their own daily and feature story ideas. This reporter will be expected to write an average of two to four stories per week and at least three enterprise stories per semester. A strong commitment to truth and accountability is essential for this role, and more experienced journalists are recommended to apply. Previous staff writing/contributing writing experience is preferred but not required. Journalism majors are preferred, but all majors are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students. 

Pay: $6 per story.

Graduate & Professional School Reporter

Low wages, lack of housing and poor mental health have been persistent issues in UF’s graduate and professional school student population for years. These issues have long gone without consistent coverage. But last semester, The Alligator created a beat devoted to covering UF’s graduate and professional community. Forging close sourcing relationships with UF students enrolled in graduate, law or medical school is essential to this role. This reporter will be assigned stories related to this beat by the university editor but should also pitch their own daily and feature story ideas. This reporter will be expected to write an average of two to four stories per week and at least three enterprise stories per semester. A strong commitment to truth and accountability is essential for this role. Journalism majors are preferred, but all majors are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students. 

Pay: $6 per story.

Student Government Reporter

This reporter is the sole watchdog of UF’s Student Government, which has a more than $20 million budget funded by student fees. This reporter will be responsible for attending weekly Tuesday night Senate meetings, so applicants’ class schedule should not overlap. A strong commitment to truth and accountability is essential for this role. This reporter will be assigned stories related to this beat by the university editor but will also be encouraged to pitch their own daily and feature story ideas. This reporter will be expected to write an average of two to four stories per week and at least three enterprise stories per semester. Previous staff writer and/or contributing writing experience is preferred but not required. Journalism majors are preferred, but all majors are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.

Pay: $6 per story.

Santa Fe College Reporter

These reporters will cover any Santa Fe-related breaking news and stories. They’ll be led by the university editor, who will teach them how to quickly write briefs and breaking news. They’ll also learn the basics of reporting in a multimedia age across digital platforms. These reporters will be expected to write daily briefs, two to four stories per week and at least two enterprise stories per semester. Previous contributing writing experience is preferred but not required. Journalism majors are preferred, but all majors are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students. 

Pay: $6 per story.

University General Assignment Reporter/News Assistant

These reporters will be the jack-of-all-trades in the newsroom. They’ll cover any UF-related breaking news and stories. They’ll be led by the university editor, who will teach them how to quickly write briefs and breaking news. They’ll also learn the basics of reporting in a multimedia age across digital platforms. These reporters will be expected to write daily briefs, two to four stories per week and at least two enterprise stories per semester. Previous contributing writing experience is preferred but not required. Journalism majors are preferred, but all majors are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students. 

Pay for GA: $6 per story.

Pay for NA: $3 per story. 

Metro General Assignment Reporter/News Assistant

These reporters will be the jack-of-all-trades in the newsroom. They’ll cover breaking news alongside any metro and community stories. They’ll be led by the metro editor, who will teach them how to quickly write briefs and breaking news. They’ll also learn the basics of reporting in a multimedia age across digital platforms. This reporter will also have a focus on covering Santa Fe College events and news. These reporters will be expected to write daily briefs, two to four stories per week and at least two enterprise stories per semester. Previous contributing writing experience is preferred but not required. Journalism majors are preferred, but all majors are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.

Pay for GA: $6 per story.

Pay for NA: $3 per story.

Rural Alachua County Reporter

This reporter must keep a pulse on what’s happening in Alachua County’s many cities, towns and unincorporated communities. In an effort to bolster coverage of those areas, this reporter will likely meet with city leaders and be required to maintain contacts in each of these areas. Some major topics will be development, farming and agriculture, city councils and advisory boards, zoning and human-interest profiles. You’ll likely need your own transportation to reach places like Micanopy, Newberry, Archer and more. Previous contributing or staff writing experience is preferred but not required. Journalism majors are preferred, but all majors are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.

Pay: $6 per story.  

City and County Commission Reporter

This reporter will be a watchdog of the Gainesville and Alachua County commissions. This reporter will be responsible for looking at the agenda for commission meetings and pre-reporting stories that are important to the community. The reporter will attend commission meetings at least once a week, talk to local leaders and write on deadline. Other general stories pertaining to the growth of the area or its needs will be assigned. A strong commitment to truth and accountability is essential for this role. This reporter is expected to write two to four stories a week and at least three enterprise stories a semester. This reporter should have a flexible Thursday schedule to be able to attend the City Commission meetings. Previous contributing or staff writing experience is preferred but not required. Journalism majors are preferred, but all majors are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.

Pay: $6 per story.

Criminal Justice Reporter

This reporter is responsible for covering breaking news and writing about crime on UF’s campus and in the Gainesville community. This reporter will keep up with local breaking news, including serious car crashes that affect traffic and UF Alerts. The crime reporter will learn how to search court records, request arrest reports and contact law enforcement. This reporter is expected to respond quickly to breaking news, attend law enforcement press conferences and update developing stories. The ideal candidate will have a sharp eye for detail, enterprise and compassion when speaking to victims and their families. This reporter is expected to write two to five stories a week and at least three enterprise stories a semester. Previous contributing or staff writing experience is preferred but not required. Journalism majors are preferred, but all majors are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.

Pay: $6 per story.

East Gainesville Reporter

The East Gainesville community has long been underserved in many ways. Distant from the development clusters near I-75 and UF’s campus, East Gainesville doesn’t receive the same coverage that UF communities do. The Alligator has reported on housing, food deserts and community programs as part of special projects in the past. This reporter is expected to develop and maintain contacts with community leaders and report on development in the area. Coverage may overlap with other beats including education, business and health. A strong commitment to truth and accountability is essential for this role. Preference may be given to reporters who are from the Gainesville area or who have lived in Gainesville for years. Previous staff writing experience is preferred but not required. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.

Pay: $6 per story.

K-12 Education Reporter

This reporter will cover the Alachua County school district, board and all topics pertaining to education in north central Florida. This reporter will cover school board decisions, impact of state education policies and more. Forming close sourcing relationships with School Board members, educators, parents and students is essential to this role. It’s important for this reporter to dive deep into this beat and write in-depth enterprise stories about all angles of Alachua County’s education while covering any workshops, meetings, protests, lawsuits and more. This reporter should have a flexible Tuesday schedule to be able to attend School Board meetings twice a month. They are expected to write two to four stories a week and at least three enterprise stories a semester. Previous contributing writing experience is preferred but not required. Journalism majors are preferred, but all majors are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.

Pay: $6 per story.

El Caimán Reporter/Translator

We’re looking for someone with interest in and experience covering news for the Spanish-speaking community in Gainesville. This reporter will work on original stories for El Caimán and serve the Spanish-speaking community of Gainesville. This reporter should be familiar with the community and the issues that members of the community care about. Additionally, this reporter may be responsible for translating stories and visual content from The Alligator’s coverage to Spanish for El Caimán. Experience in covering news in Spanish is preferred but not required. Journalism majors are preferred, but all majors are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.

Pay: $3 per translation, $6 per story.

Sports Reporter (multiple positions)

The Alligator sports section will follow UF Spring sports teams. Reporters will cover breaking news alongside any games or events that need a reporter. They’ll learn how to quickly write briefs and the basics of reporting in a multimedia age across digital platforms. These reporters will be expected to write two to three stories per week and at least four enterprise stories per semester. 

For the Spring semester, the section will also focus on action away from the field and work on vibrant, sports-related stories both around the university and the Gainesville community. Past reporters have covered topics such as Gainesville High’s Citizens Field and the newly established Gator Collective. Previous journalism experience is strongly preferred but all majors are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.

Pay: $6 per reported story, $3 per brief/game recap.

Avenue Reporter (multiple positions)

The Avenue is responsible for covering arts and culture across Gainesville. With more creative freedom than traditional daily news writers, The Avenue team should be up to date on all things local entertainment. Here, writers have the opportunity to interview local creatives, profile artists, preview concerts and theater productions, highlight new businesses and restaurants and much more. 

Reporters should have an eye for how arts and culture interacts with the Gainesville community, as well as have a passion for highlighting the individuals behind these movements. Avenue staff will be assigned stories by the Avenue editor but should also pitch their own daily and feature story ideas. Reporters will be expected to write an average of two to three stories per week. Previous reporting experience is preferred but not required. Journalism majors are preferred, but all majors are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.

Pay: $6 per story.

Multimedia Applications

Click HERE to apply. 

Photographers (multiple positions)

Photographers capture the details stories cannot tell on their own. Through speeches, protests, features, sports and daily events on campus, photographers are on the front lines to preserve the history of the community. Photographers are expected to take at least three to four photos a week that would accompany daily stories, features and investigations. Enterprise photos that aren’t necessarily tied to a specific story are also expected of Alligator photographers. Although a photographer’s priority is to shoot photos, knowing how to shoot and edit video is also recommended. Feel free to provide a portfolio with photojournalistic or creative photos you have taken in the past. Previous contributing experience is preferred but not required. Photojournalism majors are preferred, but all majors are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students. 

Pay: About $5 per assignment.

Videographer

The Alligator’s videographer will be tasked with balancing short-form and long-form videos to pair with stories. A strong news sense is also preferred, as this position will require them to conduct interviews and create original reporting. Content will be used for weekly Instagram Reels/TikToks as well as videos that complement stories. This videographer must create weekly videos as well as work on longer projects that will take more time to complete. Journalism or Media, Technology and Society majors are preferred, but all majors are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students. 

Pay: $5 per assignment.

Graphic Designer/Illustrator (multiple positions)

The graphic designers will be visual communicators to make it easy and fun for readers to interpret hard-hitting stories. This position is aimed at pushing our digital and online content further. The Alligator is looking for someone who would seize the opportunity to get creative and have their work published. Knowledge of data visualizations, graphics, Adobe programs, coding and an eye for great design are pluses. We’d love someone who can also code unique story packages. Journalism and communications majors are preferred, but all majors are encouraged to apply, especially those with a computer science background. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students. 

Pay: About $5 per assignment.

Audience and Growth Applications 

Click HERE to apply. 

Social Media Strategist (multiple positions)

This position is designed to grow The Alligator’s social media presence and audience. The social media manager will work with the Engagement Managing Editor to track social analytics, build campaigns and better understand The Alligator’s audience. The social media director will work across platforms like Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, TikTok and LinkedIn. This team will also come up with creative ways to package and deliver Alligator content on social media platforms. The ideal candidate should have a strong understanding of news, social media strategy and audience engagement. The ideal candidate is creative, innovative and passionate about the future of journalism. Previous experience in creating social media graphics on Canva or Adobe programs is highly recommended. Journalism, advertising and public relations majors are preferred, but all majors are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.

Pay: About $10 a week.

TikTok Manager

The Alligator is looking to increase our presence on TikTok! The ideal candidate should be with the latest TikTok trends and knowledgeable about creating content for the platform. This person should be able to simplify stories into easy to understand videos. A sense of humor is a plus, too.

Pay: About $10 a week

Newsletter Editor

This person will be responsible for expanding audience engagement beyond social media, which is essential to boosting readership at The Alligator. Through collaboration with the Digital Managing Editor, this editor will be at the helm of creating our newsletters, which are sent out every weekday. Sending out push alerts and assisting with website configuration will also be essential aspects of the position. Experience with newsletters, SEO and web development are preferred qualifications. This person should be able to learn The Alligator brand and promote it. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.

Pay: About $10 a week.

Copy Desk Applications

Click HERE to apply. 

Copy Editor

An essential component of The Alligator’s coverage, copy editors ensure all stories are factual and accurate. Copy editors are in charge of proofreading stories and print pages to check for factual errors, grammar and AP style. This person will work on Sunday print nights, along with a couple nights a week to copy edit online content. Passing a copy test will be required for this position. All majors are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be UF or Santa Fe College students.

Pay: $7 a night.