Castleton named SEC Player of the Week

Florida earned a pair of conference victories behind Castleton’s performances

<p>Florida graduate student forward Colin Castleton drives toward the basket against the Georgia Bulldogs Saturday, Jan. 7, 2023. </p>

Florida graduate student forward Colin Castleton drives toward the basket against the Georgia Bulldogs Saturday, Jan. 7, 2023.

Florida graduate student forward Colin Castleton was named the Southeastern Conference Player of the Week Monday. It marks his fourth career SEC Player of the Week honor and his first this season.

Only former UF guard Vernon Maxwell has earned the honor more — five times — in the program's history.

Castleton produced his 16th double-double as a Gator against No. 20 Missouri Saturday. The win gave Florida its first win against a nationally-ranked opponent this season. 

His performance helped him surpass former Gators Joakim Noah and Chandler Parsons with the program's fifth-most double-doubles since the 1996-97 season.

The 6-foot-11-inch big man finished with 16 points, 13 rebounds, six assists, three steals and two blocks. His six assists and three steals were career-highs.

Castleton also scored his 1,000th point at UF Saturday; former Gators forward Dorian Finney-Smith is the only other transfer in program history to reach the milestone. He’s the 55th overall Gator to do it.

Castleton made 12 free throws on 15 attempts against Louisiana State Wednesday. Both figures were career highs. He led Florida with 18 points and helped UF rally from eight points behind to beat LSU 67-56.

The Gators next game comes against Texas A&M at 7 p.m. Wednesday in College Station, Texas. The game will be broadcast on SEC Network.

Contact Brandon Hernandez at bhernandez@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @BranH2001.

Brandon Hernandez

Brandon Hernandez is currently the enterprise sports writer and sports podcast host for The Independent Alligator. He likes long walks on the sidewalk and watching basketball tape in his off time. You can find most of his work @BranH2001 on X and on The Courtside Podcast on Spotify.