Library West temporarily closed due to water damage

Estimated 60,000 gallons entered building during holiday break

Library West is seen on Thursday, Oct. 14, 2021.

Library West will remain closed into the beginning of the Spring semester after a break in the water line caused an estimated 60,000 gallons of water to flood the library’s first, second and third floors for several hours, according to a UF press release. Damaged areas will be closed indefinitely past Jan. 9.

The Humanities and Social Sciences Library, usually shortened to “Library West,” was set to re-open Jan. 3. That date is now extended to Jan. 9 due to damaged computers, furniture, ceilings and carpets. About 6,000 of the more than 1 million books in the library were damaged by water. The damaged books are being assessed for inventory and replacement.

UF was unable to comment to The Alligator about the temporary closure in time for initial publication.

The Chilled Water Production staff noticed the water break Dec. 26, when the early-morning temperature in Gainesville dropped to the low to mid-20s. Staff and contractors are working to repair parts of the first, second and third floors of the west end of the library. 

Normal hours of operation are expected to resume Monday. Students can still drop off books at Library West’s drive-thru drop box location on the east side of the library facing Anderson Hall. 

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Contact Sophia at sbailly@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @sophia_bailly.

Sophia Bailly

Sophia Bailly is a second-year journalism major and covers politics for the enterprise desk. Some of her favorite things include The Beatles, croissants and Agatha Christie books. When she's not writing stories she's either reading or going for a run.