Kowacie Reeves, Niels Lane enter transfer portal

The pair are the first Gators to enter names in portal

Sophomore guard Kowacie Reeves competes in an open practice at the SEC Tournament Wednesday, March 8, 2023.

Gators sophomore guard Kowacie Reeves and junior guard Niels Lane entered their names into the National Collegiate Athletic Association transfer portal Thursday, according to 247Sports.  

The move comes one day after the Florida Gators lost 67-49 to the Central Florida Knights in the first round of the National Invitational Tournament. Reeves and Lane are the first Gators to enter their names into the transfer portal on UF’s men’s basketball team. 

Reeves averaged 8.5 points, 2.6 rebounds and 0.5 assists per game this past season. He played 31 games and started seven of them in the 2022-2023 season. 

The Macon, Georgia, native struggled to stay consistent shooting the ball this past season. He shot 38% from the field. Reeves took a team-high 130 attempts but shot just 26.2% from beyond the arc. 

Reeves scored in double figures in 13 of the 31 games he played this season. 

Lane struggled to find playing time in his junior season. The Freehold, New Jersey, native played in 14 games this past season and averaged 8.7 minutes per game. He averaged 2.4 points, 1.2 rebounds and 0.2 assists per game. 

The junior guard saw his playing time increase after graduate student forward Colin Caslteton’s injury against Ole Miss Feb. 15. Lane received playing time in all seven games Florida played after Castleton went down. 

If Lane and Reeves choose to transfer elsewhere, they would become the fourth and fifth departures from the program. They would join Castleton and graduate student guards Kyle Lofton and Myreon Jones, who are all out of eligibility. 

Contact Jackson Reyes at jacksonreyes@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @JacksnReyes.

Jackson Reyes

Jackson Reyes is a UF journalism senior and The Alligator's Fall 2023 Sports Editor. He previously served as Digital Managing Editor and was a reporter and assistant editor on the sports desk. In his free time, he enjoys collecting records, long walks on the beach and watching Bo Nix.