Downtown Gainesville shut down after 2 late-night shootings

Shootings happened within minutes, police said

<p>Caution tape lines the streets in downtown Gainesville early Monday morning, April 10, 2023. </p>

Caution tape lines the streets in downtown Gainesville early Monday morning, April 10, 2023. 

The Gainesville Police Department deployed caution tape, swept crime scenes and ordered confused onlookers exiting the Main Street clubs to leave downtown in the aftermath of two shootings that occurred within minutes of each other early Monday morning.

GPD has arrested one individual, Lt. Ed Wilkins said, but it’s unclear whether they were involved with either of the shootings. 

Wilkins told The Alligator three individuals were rushed to the hospital with non-life-threatening gunshot wounds — two from the shooting that occurred near That ’80s Bar on University Avenue around 1:15 a.m., and one from the shooting at the intersection of Main Street and Southwest 1st Street minutes later. 

Another individual was struck by a vehicle on Main Street in the ensuing chaos; and the investigation is ongoing, Wilkins said. As of 10 a.m. Monday, GPD declined to comment further to The Alligator.

He and GPD Lt. Lonnie Scott Jr. said as of Monday morning, they believe the two shootings are independent of each other, but the investigation will continue.

Scott heard gunshots from the second altercation just moments after he arrived on the scene of the first shooting, he said. 

Christopher Keller, a Gainesville Roadside Assistance driver, said he saw the second shooting across the street from him while he was at Main Street Billiards.

“The guy that was shot went down, and he pretty much stayed down,” Keller said. “Then that victim that was shot was still getting beat up on the floor.” 

Keller said there was a brawl during the shooting — and that he also saw a man pick up the gun and run south on Main Street.

Connor Glendinning, a 26-year-old UF law student, said he heard around six gunshots outside of his apartment near the Hyatt on Southeast 2nd Place around 1:15 a.m. He wasn’t sure at first if they were gunshots, he said, and he walked to his car to unload items from his car until he heard another round of gunshots. A little louder this time. 

When he peered down Main Street, he saw people running away in no particular direction, he said.

This is an ongoing story. Check back with The Alligator for updates.

Contact Christian at ccasale@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @vanityhack.

Christian Casale

Christian Casale is a history senior and the university desk editor for The Alligator. In his spare time, he loves writing his bio for the website and watching movies alone in the dark.