Florida cuts season short at NCAA Regional

The Gators finished five shots short of the top-five cut in the Raleigh Regional.

<p>Junior Maisie Filler adjusts a flag at Mark Bostick Golf Course.</p>

Junior Maisie Filler adjusts a flag at Mark Bostick Golf Course.

The Florida women’s golf team’s 2022-23 season has come to an end.

The Gators finished in eighth at the National Collegiate Athletic Association Regionals Wednesday. UF was five shots short of the top-five cut to advance.

UF traveled to Raleigh, North Carolina, to compete in the NCAA Regional tournament Monday. 

The starting lineup consisted of redshirt sophomore Taylor Roberts, junior Maisie Filler and seniors Marina Escobar, Jackie Lucena and Annabell Fuller. 

Florida finished round one two-over-par and three shots back from the top-five cut. The teams who finish in the top five advance to the NCAA National Championships at Greyhawk Golf Club May 19-24. 

Escobar and Filler led the team Monday. The pair scored one-under-par 72.

Lucena was the third Gator to avoid scoring over par with an even score of 72. She was one of 28 participants to sit even or under par after round one. Her back-to-back birdies on holes 15 and 16 boosted UF.

Filler was bogey free through 14 holes with a total of four birdies. Filler and Escobar were tied for ninth going into round two.

Lucena led the team during the second round with a score of one-under-par, 72 climbing into the top ten. Tied for ninth, the senior was one-under-par overall through the first 36 holes. Like the round prior, Lucena had back to back birdies during holes 15 and 16. 

Escobar remained in the top-25 in a tie for 21st individually.

Fuller improved three shots from round one with a score of one-over-par 72 Tuesday.

Fifth-year Jenny Kim subbed in the No. 5 spot in the lineup Tuesday to score a three-over-par 72. The regional would be her final collegiate appearance.

The Gators finished seven-over-par going into round three in eighth place.

Florida started the final day five strokes away from the top-five cut to advance to the National Championships.

Filler and Lucena had back-to-back birdies to kick off the round. Filler recorded two more on holes four and five. The senior added her fifth of the day on hole seven and was five-under-par through the first seven holes. Filler shot her second one-under-par 72 to finish in a tie for 24th individually. 

The team improved 15 shots in the second half of the round. However UF fell below the cutline, finishing in eighth. 

The Florida women’s golf team will return for the 2023-24 season.

Contact Madilyn Destefano at mdestefano@alligtor.org. Follow her on Twitter @DestefanoMadi.