Golden gets familiar face as San Francisco transfer Julian Rishwain commits to Gators

Rishwain is the sixth transfer to commit to Florida this offseason.

Florida head coach Todd Golden coaches the Gators' during a practice the day before their Southeastern Conference tournament game Wednesday, March 8, 2023.

Florida Gators men’s basketball head coach Todd Golden grabbed the team’s sixth transfer this offseason from a familiar place. San Francisco fifth-year transfer guard Julian Rishwain committed to the Gators on Friday.

The 6-foot-5-inch guard, originally from Los Angeles, California, began his collegiate career at Boston College before spending three seasons with the Dons.

Rishwain started in 11 of the 20 games he played last season until the guard suffered a season-ending lower leg injury Jan. 12.. He averaged 5.0 points, 2.4 rebounds and 0.9 assists per game in 2022-2023. Rishwain played under Golden for two years and was a part of USF’s team that made the National Collegiate Athletic Association Tournament in the 2021-22 season.

In his first season under Golden, he averaged 16.5 minutes per game. The 2021-22 season was his best year in his collegiate career, shooting 43% from the 3-point line in 34 games. 

“Julian was an integral part of our NCAA tournament team at San Francisco,” Golden said in a press release. “He’s an efficient shot-maker who had some of his best games against top competition.”

Golden has signed six players from the transfer portal this offseason and the second in as many days. On Thursday, UC Riverside transfer Zyon Pullin committed to Florida. 

Florida basketball begins the 2023-2024 season at the National Invitational Tournament Season Tip-Off November 22-24 in Brooklyn, New York. 

Contact Bennett Solomon at bsolomon@alligator.org . Follow him on Twitter @B_Soly11.