Gators soccer settles for draw against Miami in first road game

Florida remains unbeaten despite draw

Freshman forward Megan Hinnenkamp passes the ball in the Florida Gators’ 1-0 win against the Maryland Terrapins Sunday, Aug. 20, 2023.

Gators soccer dominated offensively against the Miami Hurricanes with 14 shots on goal to Miami’s lone shot. However, Hurricanes goalkeeper Melissa Dagenais managed to keep every shot out of the net with six saves.

Florida’s winning streak came to an end after the team’s first road match. The Florida Gators (2-1-0) started their season with back-to-back home wins but drew 0-0 against Miami (1-1-1) Thursday night.

The Gator's defense held Miami under pressure after they took an aggressive hold on the ball during the first 20 minutes.

Florida junior forward Madeline Pirrello stayed high and wide throughout the first half. She unleashed a cross-shot from the left wing in the 23rd minute. However, the ball deflected off the far post.

Pirrello took a shot on goal from the top left wing in the 28th minute. Dagenais caught the attempt and maintained the scoreless tie.

In the 33rd minute, Hurricanes defender Taylor Shell came in for the ball, but she brought Pirrello down in the box. Dagenais saved the free kick to the bottom center of the net.

Miami had a few offensive opportunities but could not capitalize on any possession. The Gators outshot the Hurricanes six shots to none.

After a 90 minute weather delay, both teams failed to find a rhythm early in the second half of the match.

UF junior defender Madison Young came around the corner with a header off a corner kick by senior midfielder Delaney Tauzel. The on-goal shot was then ruled offside in the 68th minute.

Dagenais remained relentless in the net. She managed to block every shot on goal made by Florida.

The Gators outshot the Hurricanes14 to one in the second half. However, the Gators failed to break through and settled for a scoreless draw.

The Gators will face the Stetson Hatters at home at 6 p.m. Sunday. The match will be broadcast on SEC Network.

Contact Hailey Hurst at hhurst@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @haileyjhurst

Hailey Hurst

Hailey Hurst is a second-year journalism major with a focus in sports media and a sports reporter for The Alligator. In her free time, she enjoys going to the beach and cheering for Miami sports teams.