The Gainesville Fire Rescue arrives to extinguish flames from a burning vehicle Monday, Aug. 28, 2023.

The Gainesville Fire Rescue put out an engine fire in a UF-owned van parked near Pugh Hall at 2:17 p.m. Monday. 

The UF Police Department received a report of smoke coming out of a white university-owned Ford van around 1:40 p.m. , UPD Sergeant Andrew McIntosh said. 

While police and the fire rescue were responding, the fire escalated because the front engine of the vehicle caught on fire, McIntosh said.

UPD set up a perimeter starting on the intersection of West University Avenue and Buckman Drive down to part of Stadium Road at 2 p.m. while the fire rescue was putting out the fire. 

The fire was put out, and the scene was cleared at 2:41 p.m. UPD also lifted perimeter restrictions at that time. UPD and the fire rescue are still working to find out the cause of the fire. Classes will occur as scheduled. 

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Contact Jordan Ramos at jramos@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @JordanR68971799.

Jordan Ramos

Jordan Ramos is a fourth-year journalism major who spends his time singing in two different choirs and his a cappella group.