Former Gator Gervon Dexter files lawsuit over NIL deal

NIL deal calls for a portion of Dexter’s NFL earnings

Gervon Dexter competes in a drill during the Gators Pro Day Thursday, March 30, 2023.

Former Gators defensive lineman Gervon Dexter filed a lawsuit to void his agreement with Name, Image and Likeness group, Big League Advance Fund II.

He filed the case with a U.S. District Court in Gainesville Friday. The lawsuit states a clause that was a part of the deal violates Florida’s NIL state laws. Dexter signed with the group in 2022 heading into his final season at UF. 

The NIL deal agreed to pay Dexter $436,485. A part of the deal states that Dexter — who was drafted in the second round of the NFL Draft to the Chicago Bears — is required to pay 15% of his pre-taxed NFL earnings for 25 years. 

Dexter’s attorneys contend the contract should be void because Big League Advance Fund II, which is based in Wilmington, Delaware, was not licensed in the state of Florida at the time of the agreement. 

Another reason why the contract should’ve been voided, his attorneys stated, is that the NIL group failed to give Scott Stricklin, the UF athletic director, notice of the deal within 72 hours. 

Contact Jackson Reyes at jacksonreyes@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @JacksnReyes

Jackson Reyes

Jackson Reyes is a UF journalism senior and The Alligator's Fall 2023 Sports Editor. He previously served as Digital Managing Editor and was a reporter and assistant editor on the sports desk. In his free time, he enjoys collecting records, long walks on the beach and watching Bo Nix.