Gators soccer defeats Charlotte in first-ever matchup between schools

Florida remains unbeaten after victory

Freshman forward Lena Bailey passes the ball in the Gators' 1-0 victory against the Maryland Terrapins Sunday, Aug. 20, 2023.

Gators soccer went into the second half deadlocked at zero against Charlotte. 

Five minutes into the second half, Florida freshman Lena Bailey cut inside from the top of the box around several defenders to place a shot on goal. Bailey’s shot snuck past 49ers goalkeeper Emma Wakeman. 

The lone goal sealed the victory to keep Florida unbeaten. 

The Florida Gators (4-0-2) defeated the Charlotte 49ers (2-3-2) Thursday night in Charlotte, North Carolina. The Gators remained undefeated after a one-goal win. The match marked the first matchup between the two schools.

The Gator’s attack controlled the early possession battle in the first 15 minutes of the match.

Florida redshirt junior forward Tori Grambo sent the second shot of the half at the top center of the net in the 13th minute. Wakeman managed to make the save.

In the 23rd minute, UF junior midfielder Lauren Donovan passed from the far side to freshman forward Magan Hinnenkamp. Her shot was on goal but Wakeman managed to catch it.

Charlotte had a few attacking opportunities but could not capitalize on any of them. The Gators outshot the 49ers three shots to none with multiple counterattacks.

Florida came out of the halftime break determined to change the outcome of the score.

Gators freshman forward Lena Bailey unleashed a shot from the top left wing in the 50th minute. The effort beat Wakeman, and Bailey grabbed her third goal of the season and opened the scoring for Florida.

Bailey continued to stay high and wide throughout the second half. She found space for a shot but Wakeman deflected the effort.

Charlotte's defense remained relentless despite Florida’s pressure. The 49ers took advantage of a few Gators turnovers but failed to break through.

Florida freshman forward Amelia Malkin nearly scored with a header in the final 10 minutes, but she sent it wide.

The two teams traded possession down the stretch, but Florida’s defense kept the clean sheet.

The Gators will next play on the road against Florida State at 5 p.m. Sunday. The game can be broadcast on the ACC Network.

Contact Hailey Hurst at hhurst@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @haileyjhurst

Hailey Hurst

Hailey Hurst is a second-year journalism major with a focus in sports media and a sports reporter for The Alligator. In her free time, she enjoys going to the beach and cheering for Miami sports teams.