Monday, April 29, 2024

Florida men’s swim doubles Virginia’s score, Women’s team falls short

The Gators men’s team won 202-96, while the women’s was beat 164-136

Senior Amro Al-Wir competes during the Gators' meet against the Virginia Cavaliers on Friday, October 13, 2023, at the Stephen C. O'Connell Center Natatorium in Gainesville, Florida.

The Florida’s men’s and women’s swim and dive teams, ranked No. 3 and No. 7, respectively, matched up against the Virginia Cavaliers for the Gators’ first home meet of the season.

Florida finished in the top-three in almost every event Friday.

The men’s team topped No. 15  Virginia with a score of 202-96, while the women’s team was bested 164-136.

In all diving events, the Gators placed first. 

Freshman Ana Monroy won the 1-meter with a 318.38 and the 3-meter with a 407.93. Freshman Conor Gesing won the 1-meter with a 364.05 and the 3-meter with a 407.93. 

In the Women’s 200 Medley Relay, the A team, consisting of Freshman Catie Choate, Senior Molly Mayne, Junior Olivia Peoples and Senior Isabel Ivey scored a 1:38.76, placing them second, while the B team landed in fourth place. 

In the Men’s 200 Medley Relay, the A team with Senior Adam Chaney, Sophomore Aleksas Savickas, Sophomore Joshua Liendo and Junior Macquire McDuff finished first at 1:25.82. The B team finished in second place. 

In the 1,000 Free, Gators landed in first, second and third place. Sophomore Eric Brown, Freshman Andrew Taylor and Freshman Josh Parent took over the scoreboard. Sophomore Caroline Pennington placed second for the Women’s 1,000 Free with a time of 9:49.07.

Ivey and Junior Emma Weyant scored the second and third fastest times in the nation in the Women’s 200 Free. In the men’s, Gators finished in ¾ of the top four times. 

Chaney and Johnny Marshall finished first and second in the Men’s 100 Back, swimming  46.99 and 47.33, respectively. Freshman Bella Sims, the SwimSwam No. 1 recruit and SEC Women’s Freshman of the Week, finished second in the Women’s 100 Back.

Junior Julian Smith placed first in the Men’s 100 Breast with a time of 54.18 and Savickas followed him to second with a time of 54.26.

In the Men’s 200 Fly, Junior Mason Laur placed first, and Junior Joaquin Gonzalez Pinero placed second with times of 1:44.14 and 1:45.52, respectively.

Junior Mickayla Cronk topped the scoreboard in the Women’s 50 Free after swimming a 22.79. She also recorded the fourth-fastest time in the nation during the Women’s 100 Free with a time of 48.90. Cronk placed second. 

McDuff finished first in the Men’s 100 Free and Smith placed third. 

Sims recorded the fastest time in the country for the Women’s 200 Back, 1:52.49. Johnny Marshall placed first for men’s, swimming a 1:45.82.

Savickas won first in the Men’s 200 Breast with a 1:58.67, finishing more than two seconds before his competition. 

In the Women’s 500 Free, Weyant placed first after swimming the fastest time in the nation, 4:39.22. Jake Mitchell placed first in men’s with a time of 4:21.35.

Sims and Peoples placed second and third in the Women’s 100 Fly while Liendo placed first with a time of 46.99. 

Weyant swam the fastest time in the nation in the Women’s 400 IM after a time of 4:07.51. Laur was more than 9 seconds ahead of his competition in the men’s, placing first with a 3:49.64.

The A-relay team placed second in the Women’s 400 Free Relay.  Ivey, Ekaterina Nikonova, Cronk and Sims swam a 3:15.80. The men’s A-relay team placed first after  Liendo, Chaney, Smith and McDuff swam a 2:54.61

The Gators face off against Georgia at home on Oct. 27. 

Contact Lacey Rogers at lrogers@alligator.org. Follower her on Twitter @laceyyrog.

Lacey Rogers

Lacey Rogers is a third-year journalism major and sports reporter for The Alligator. She is a huge Washington Capitals fan and hopes to work for them after she finishes school.