Florida volleyball sweeps Ole Miss in see-saw battle

Kennedy Martin hit 19 kills in the win

Senior outside hitter AC Fitzpatrick hits the ball in the Gators' 3-0 loss against the Auburn Tigers on Friday, Oct. 6, 2023.

The first two sets were close calls for the Gators as they just edged out Ole Miss with a two-point lead. But UF stayed determined to call the game a clean sweep. 

In the last moments of the third set, senior middle blocker Nnedi Okammor slammed a kill across the court to bring the score to 21-19. Freshman outside hitter Kennedy Martin followed with another kill, and the Rebels called a timeout.

The final three rallies showcased Florida’s defense. Okammor and senior outside hitter Sofia Victoria combined to deflect an Ole Miss serve. Okammor hit a solo block to bring the Gators to set point. Martin and graduate student setter Kennedy Muff took the game victory with another block assist. 

The Gators clinched the third set 25-19 with a five-point scoring streak.

The No. 19 Florida Gators (14-4, 6-3 SEC) defeated the Ole Miss Rebels (8-14, 2-9 SEC) 3-0 in Oxford, Mississippi, Wednesday evening. 

The Gators faced a challenging start in the first set as the Rebels took an early lead with three consecutive kills. Victoria opened the Florida scoreboard with an unanswered kill, but UF’s constant errors kept them behind 10-6. 

Martin triggered an offensive run with a kill assisted by graduate student setter Kennedy Muff. The Gators reclaimed the lead 14-12 after a six-point scoring streak. 

Ole Miss capitalized on two attack errors, but Okammor kept them close with a solo block. In the final moments, Martin recorded her ninth kill of the game, and Ole Miss sealed the set with an attack error to award UF a 26-24 victory.

Florida found its momentum in the second frame with an opening 3-1 lead. The Rebels came back in moments with strong plays from Ole Miss senior outside hitter Anna Blair and senior middle blocker Sasha Ratliff. 

Muff hit her first service ace of the night to tie the match 10-apiece. UF took the lead 16-15 after senior outside hitter AC Fitzpatrick hit two kills and Ole Miss committed an attack error. Victoria kept them ahead with two more kills, but Bair landed offensive attacks for the Rebels to stay alive. 

Poorly timed errors on the Rebels’ end wrapped the set up with a service error and brought the Gators to set point. Martin tallied a final kill for the set and forced a block error on Ole Miss to take the victory 25-23 and game advantage 2-0. 

Senior libero Elli McKissock opened set three with a let serve to mark two more service aces for her and the Florida lead 4-2. But the Gators’ error-filled offense sacrificed their lead quickly as the Rebels tied the match at nine apiece. 

Fitzpatrick hit a kill assisted by Muff and forced an Ole Miss block error to bring the score 17-15, Gators trail. Sophomore libero Emily Canaan hit her first service ace of the night and tied the score 18-apiece. 

The final rallies of the night were highlighted by Florida’s 4-0 scoring run as Okammor marked a point with a kill and another two points with blocks. Martin and Muff deflected an Ole Miss hit with a dual block to take set three 25-19. 

Florida will play the No.12 Arkansas Razorbacks at 1 p.m. Sunday in the Stephen C. O’Connell Center. The game will be broadcast on the SEC Network. 

Contact Krisha Sanghavi at ksanghavi@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter at @krishasang.

Krisha Sanghavi

Krisha Sanghavi is a third-year public relations and economics major. In her free time, she loves cheering on Miami sports teams and spending time with her friends.