Gators finish tied fourth after strong finish in the final round

Florida placed in the top five on the leaderboard for the first time this season

Florida redshirt freshman Matthew Kress swings his club during the Southeastern Conference Championships Thursday, April 20, 2023. / Photo by Leslie White

The Florida Gators Men’s Golf team traveled to Eagle Point Golf Club for The Williams Cup in Wilmington, North Carolina, this week. UF finished Xth in the 54-hole tournament.

In the opening two rounds of play, Florida shot combined scores of 297 and 299. The Gators finished the first 36 holes of play in eighth place on the team leaderboard. 

Senior Tyler Wilkes led the Gators in rounds one and two. He made his season debut while shooting 3-under 69 in his first round. Junior Ryan Hart contributed this week as well, finishing 53rd as Monday’s play concluded.

A trio of Gators also finished T19 after Monday’s action. Sophomore Matthew Kress bounced back from a shakey +4 first round performance to shoot an even-par 72 in round two. 

Freshman Luke Poulter posted back-to-back rounds of 74. Rounding out the top-20 finish on day one was junior Ian Poulter after finishing the first round even.

Florida’s lineup also featured sophomore Parker Bell and senior Quentin Debove, who both finished T42 in the opening two rounds. 

In the final round of the tournament Tuesday, the Gators were led by Poulter who shot a 70 while finishing a team-best T11. Kress and Gilligan both posted 221 scores for the tournament after round three concluded to finish tied for 19th.

Bell and Debove rounded out Florida’s lineup Tuesday. They both shot (+3) 75. The third round marked the lowest score that the duo would post for the tournament as they both T41.

Florida combined to shoot a tournament team-low 291 in round three to propel them to a top five finish. North Carolina would go on to win the tournament after finishing (-11) after 54 holes. UNC shot a combined 853 as a team and edged second place Auburn by 18 strokes.

UF’s season continues next week as they travel to Woodmont Country Club in Rockville, Maryland, for the Georgetown Intercollegiate. The 36-hole tournament will be Oct. 15-16. 

Contact Max at mtucker@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @MaxTuckerUF25. 

Max Tucker

Max Tucker is a junior transfer student at UF. After obtaining his A.A. in Journalism from Santa Fe College in 2023, he chose further his education at Florida's College of Journalism and Communications. Max is currently pursuing his Bachelor of Science in Journalism with a specialization in sports and media. He enjoys golfing and going to the beach with his friends in his free time. Max will be covering the Gators Golf teams this Fall for The Alligator.