Gators soccer settles for draw against Georgia

Second scoreless draw against UGA since 1995

Junior defender Madison Young kicks the ball in the Gators' 1-0 loss to the Mississippi State Bulldogs on Thursday, Oct. 5, 2023.

Georgia soccer put pressure on the Gators all match long with 11 shots on goal. Despite the strong performance, Florida's defense held the game to a draw.

The Florida Gators (5-4-3, 1-3-2 SEC) drew against Georgia Bulldogs (6-3-3, 2-2-2 SEC) 1-0 Sunday afternoon at the Turner Soccer Complex. This match was the second scoreless draw between the two teams since they first met in 1995.

Both teams started strong offensively. As the game progressed, Georgia took control of the ball and held possession for the majority of the first half.

In the first five minutes, Georgia senior defender Madison Haugen took a wide shot from the center of the net but was off target.

Five fouls on Georgia awarded Florida many free kicks, but the Gators failed each time to execute the play.

The Bulldogs continued to push for the ball and keep high pressure on Florida. Georgia junior midfielder Gilbert Ellie came inside from a corner kick to take a shot to the bottom center of the net. UF senior goalkeeper Alexa Goldberg managed to save Ellie’s effort.

Georgia’s offense continued to recognize when to switch the point of attack. Midfielder Mallie Mckenzie continually roamed up to the right side of the field to try and create chances.

In the 24th minute, Georgia’s forward Hannah White passed a cross from the far right wing to redshirt senior midfielder Nicole Vernis. She made an attempt to volley the shot but hit the top of the crossbar.

Just moments later, Vernis took another shot but it was blocked by a Florida defender.

The Bulldogs continued to apply pressure on the ball which forced the Gators to play in their defensive end.

Florida had the opportunity with 10 minutes remaining for a chance on goal, but Georgia goalkeeper Jordan Brown stopped the effort.

In the final three minutes, Georgia redshirt freshman midfielder Summer Denigan took a shot to the top center of the net but Goldberg just barely made her third save of the half.

Georgia outshot Florida eight shots to two with three corner kicks. Florida held enough defensively to keep the first half scoreless. 

The Bulldogs came out just as strong with multiple attacks coming into the second half.

Denigan had a good touch inside to take a shot in the first 10 minutes. Florida was able to close down the space and the ball missed right past the goal post.

The Gators gave their best effort to find scoring opportunities, but Georgia did a great job of blocking the passing lanes.

In the 80th minute, Florida redshirt senior Daviana Vaka picked up a yellow card. Florida had 7 fouls total during the second half.

Georgia struggled to move the ball offensively with eight offsides called.

In the 82nd minute, Vernis took an inside shot to the bottom left of the net. Goldberg was able to make the difficult save to keep Florida in play.

The teams traded possession until the end of the half. Florida failed to breakthrough and settled for a draw.

Florida will face Arkansas at 7 p.m. Thursday at home. The match will be broadcast on SEC Network.

Contact Hailey Hurst at hhurst@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @haileyjhurst.

Hailey Hurst

Hailey Hurst is a second-year journalism major with a focus in sports media and a sports reporter for The Alligator. In her free time, she enjoys going to the beach and cheering for Miami sports teams.