Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Theta Chi face alleged hazing penalties

University condemns hazing following Fall 2023 fraternity rush

Two on-campus fraternities are being investigated by the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution following Fall 2023 rush hazing allegations. 

Sigma Alpha Epsilon has been placed on interim suspension and Theta Chi has been issued a limited activity directive, UF Spokesperson Cynthia Roldan said. Both investigations into the alleged hazing are ongoing.

Hazing is “any action or series of actions that recklessly or intentionally endangers the mental health, physical health or safety of a student for any purpose, including but not limited to initiation into, admission into or affiliation with any student group or organization,” according to the SCCR. UF holds campus organizations accountable for hazing incidents, Roldan said, with consequences ranging from loss of university privileges to expulsion.

Both fraternities have prior conduct violations for hazing incidents, according to the Interfraternity Council. 

SAE was suspended from Spring 2021 to December 2022 for “acts of hazing through forced alcohol consumption,” and was put on deferred suspension in Spring 2021 through Fall 2023 for violating the Campus Events and Gatherings and Student Behavioral Expectations COVID-19 policies. 

Theta Chi was suspended in Fall 2020 through the end of Fall 2021 for hazing new members by subjecting them to physical acts of hazing such as staring at objects for long periods of time, having items thrown at them and being yelled at by other members, according to the IFC. In Spring 2023, they were placed on conduct review through the end of Fall 2023 for throwing objects at and damaging Pi Kappa Phi’s fraternity house.  

Additionally, Pi Lambda Phi has been suspended for two years, following an incident from the 2022-2023 academic year, and Pi Kappa Phi is on probation through the end of Fall 2023 for throwing objects at and damaging Theta Chi’s fraternity house, as well as subjecting Theta Chi members to potential danger. 

Currently, Kappa Kappa Gamma is the only sorority on probation. KKG will remain on probation through 2024 for a Fall 2022 hazing incident, in which new members were yelled at and chapter members threw “fake drugs, condoms, whip cream and other explicit items” at new members. 

Theta Chi President Justin Jones referred The Alligator to Theta Chi Fraternity International Headquarters, which did not respond to requests for comment before time of publication. SAE President Preston Wagner also referred The Alligator to SAE International Headquarters, which did not respond to requests for comment before time of publication.  

“Hazing is unequivocally prohibited at the University of Florida,” Roldan said. “It is a behavior that is inconsistent with the institution’s core values and will not be tolerated.”

Contact Ella Thompson ethompson@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @elladeethompson.

Ella Thompson

Ella Thompson is a third-year journalism major and the Spring 2024 Metro Editor. In her free time, she likes to go to the beach or read a good book.