Analysis: The Riley Kugel experience is must-watch basketball

The sophomore guard is tabbed to be a breakout player this season

Sophomore guard Riley Kugel goes up for a layup during the Florida Gators' 93-73 win against the Loyola Maryland Greyhounds on Monday, Nov. 6, 2023.

As sophomore guard Riley Kugel stepped onto the court for the first time in the 2023-2024 season, it didn’t take him long to make his presence felt.

In the first minute of the Gators’ game against Loyola Maryland, Kugel got the ball in transition and quickly switched hands as he glided past a defender for an easy layup and UF’s first points of the season.

The sophomore guard has been highly regarded as a potential breakout player heading into his second season in Gainesville and was named to the Coaches’ Preseason First-Team All-SEC team. 

He’s already proving why he was tabbed to the list as he scored 23 points, grabbed six steals and dished four assists in UF’s 93-73 season-opening win against Loyola Maryland.

His ascension as a key member of this Gators’ squad dates back to last season. The Orlando product averaged 9.9 points per game last season, but a closer look reveals a dominant latter half to the season.

Kugel averaged 16 points per game in the final 10 games of the 2022-2023 season. He also scored 15 points or more in seven of those 10 outings.

The sophomore guard wasn’t just scoring in bunches, but he did it efficiently. He shot above a 50% clip from the field six times during his 10 game stretch of double-figure scoring.

He ended last season shooting 46% from the field and a solid 38% from deep.

The sophomore guard chose to return to UF for his sophomore season, set on improving other aspects of his game while building on his scoring.

UF head coach Todd Golden has touted his guard’s ability to be a playmaker. If Kugel is having an effect on other areas of the team, then it will lead to winning basketball, Golden added.

“He’s made a huge jump,” Golden said. “The way he’s practicing has been super consistent in going really, really hard and really raises the level of our team.”

Kugel proved that to be true Monday. He threw out four assists and continually found teammates for buckets.

Playing in a dynamic backcourt with juniors Walter Clayton Jr and Will Richard, and graduate student Zyon Pullin — once he returns from his three-game suspension — allows Kugel to create for his teammates and put scorers in positions for easy buckets.

His playmaking also improves the Gators' ability to play in transition. Four of his steals led to either assists or scores of his own.

He also made waves defensively. He stacked up six steals and remained a pest on defense against the Greyhounds. His steals led to several transition buckets as his improvements in passing the ball opened up full-court play.

Early in the game, he finds himself in a position to quickly react and steal the ball. He needs just one dribble before he spots Richard for a breakaway dunk.

“It wasn’t like he was taking advantage or picking on anybody,” Golden said about Kugel’s six steals. “He was just being in the right place at the right time. That’s an area that he excels in.”

The display of passing the ball and big plays on the other end of the court are aspects Kugel believes will be seen throughout the season, he said.

“I'm definitely more than just a scorer,” Kugel said. “ I feel like last year, you saw a glimpse, a tiny bit of my game. Now, this year, I can show y'all everything I can bring to the table."

His playmaking and attentiveness on the defensive end will be factors that will help the team and improve his NBA draft stock. However, it is ultimately his scoring that makes Kugel stand out and could be the X-factor in leading this team on a run in a packed SEC.

Kugel can score at all three levels, but against Loyola Maryland, he showed his ability to score down low and attack the basket.

It's important to point out the level of competition he faced Monday wasn’t the same level he’ll face once conference play rolls around, but he still displayed his ability to get whatever he wanted at the rim.

The sophomore guard showed why he belonged amongst the top names of the conference time and time again.

He got to his spots often and showed great patience when taking the shots he wanted.

He scored his 23 points on a highly efficient 10-15 shooting. He displayed a variety of moves to get around defenders and get layups, and when he couldn’t get an open shot he battled through contact and still finished shots against defenders.

Loyola Maryland’s defenders were time and time again no match for Kugel as the guard got almost whatever he wanted.

Kugel scored 14 of his 23 points in the second half on a 7-8 clip. The sophomore guard emphasized his gelling with the rest of the team, and that helped his ability as a player.

"I would say I get better each year just by the confidence I get every year and it really just starts with the guys around me and just being able to mesh well with them,” Kugel said.

Kugel and the Gators will get their first big challenge against the Virginia Cavaliers in Charlotte Friday. If he can carry Monday’s performance into Friday and build on it for the rest of the season then Florida has the potential to stack wins.

Kugel’s potential as a player continues to grow as he adds playmaking and becomes a stronger defender.

He’s already one of the most talented scorers in the conference. His style of basketball is must-watch stuff and could be the reason Florida makes noise in the conference this season.

Contact Jackson Reyes at jacksonreyes@alligator.org Follow him on Twitter @JacksnReyes.

Jackson Reyes

Jackson Reyes is a UF journalism senior and The Alligator's Fall 2023 Sports Editor. He previously served as Digital Managing Editor and was a reporter and assistant editor on the sports desk. In his free time, he enjoys collecting records, long walks on the beach and watching Bo Nix.