Analysis: What can Julian Rishwain bring to the Gators?

The graduate student guard played under Golden at San Francisco

Graduate student guard Julian Rishwain attempts a layup during the Florida Gators men's basketball open practice on Monday, Oct. 2, 2023.

The Gators received uplifting news when graduate student guard Julian Rishwain announced he’ll be ready to play the Gators’ season opener against Loyola Maryland, he said Thursday night. 

Rishwain reunited with his former head coach Todd Golden, when he announced his transfer to Florida June 9.

Golden said Rishwain adds another weapon to this team’s offense as someone who can score and stretch the floor, he said. The graduate student guard already has a familiarity with the program and his mindset is set, Golden added.

“Came here for a specific reason,” Golden said. “To win.”

Rishwain suffered a season-ending knee injury last season against Portland Jan. 12. He tore his ACL, MCL and PCL, and after he completed surgery, it wasn’t clear whether he would play at all this season. 

However, the graduate student guard has progressed quickly through his rehabilitation and the team health staff medically cleared him for full contact prior to the team’s season opener against Loyola Maryland, according to Chris Harry. 

“Recovery process was long,” Rishwain said. “But I did it at 150%. I think I made great timing getting back right at the start of the season.”

While the 6-foot-5-inch, 200-pound guard may need a couple games to fully acclimate to the rotation and get readjusted to playing, he could be set to make a major impact for the Gators. 

Rishwain averaged 6.1 points, 2.6 rebounds and 0.7 assists per game across his career at San Francisco and Boston College. His career high in points was 7.9 points per game in his sophomore year. 

So what exactly does Rishwain bring to the Gators’ rotation? 

Perimeter shooting

One thing is clear when watching Rishwain playing — he’s a skilled outside shooter. The Los Angeles product struggled from outside last season in limited play and shot just 24.3% from deep. 

However, Rishwain excelled from beyond the arc under his former coach Golden and the pair reuniting could help the graduate student guard return to his former self. He hit a 3-pointer in the Gators’ shortened Orange & Blue scrimmage Thursday night.

In his junior year and his last under Golden, Rishwain lit it up from 3-point range. He shot 43% from deep on almost four attempts per game. He also shot a respectable 36% from 3-point range In his sophomore season on nearly four attempts per game. 

He traditionally gets his points as a spot-up shooter. He does show the ability to score as a catch-and-shoot player, but more often, he scored by making a move and hitting a three against a defender as he did below against Pacific Feb. 21, 2022. 

As a shooting wing, he can use his length and quickness to create shots against even the top defenders in the conference. Here’s an example of his ability to create his own shot as a spot-up wing against Gonzaga March 7, 2022. 

Here against Santa Clara Jan. 29, 2022, he catches the ball, makes a jab move and drills a 3-pointer. Plays like this could become a staple for him at Florida and provide a massive boost for UF.

Going from the West Coast Conference to the Southeastern Conference will be an adjustment for Rishwain, but the guard’s skills should translate to Gainesville.

The Gators shot just 31% from deep last season. Two of UF’s top three players in 3-point attempts shot just less than 32% from beyond the arc. 

If Rishwain can get back to how he shot the ball in his sophomore and junior seasons, then he can help lift this number. He shot 55-for-128 on 3-point attempts in his junior year. His attempts would’ve tied second on last year’s Gators team with guard Will Richard.

Scoring in transition

Rishwain’s biggest strength is providing an outside presence offensively, but don’t count out his ability to score on the break. Florida will be able to push the pace with guards like sophomore Riley Kugel, junior Walter Clayton Jr. and graduate student Zyon Pullin. 

Rishwain has the potential to fit right in with them in the rotation on the break. 

Against Murray State in the NCAA Tournament in 2022, he pokes the ball out, recovers the loose and scores a layup with a pursuing defender all in stride. 

This aspect of his game is the one that could be the biggest variable for UF. Golden raved about his team’s performance in transition offensively Oct. 24 after the Gators’ secret scrimmage against Miami. 

If Rishwain can continue to make plays, like he did against Brigham Young in the WCC Tournament in 2022, then he can be an underrated player in a crowded backcourt. 

Scoring at the basket

Rishwain’s shown an ability to score around the rim and drive to the basket. However, his rate of attacking the basket may go down as he takes on bigger and stronger opponents in the conference. 

It’s still worth noting what he can do at the rim. 

Against Gonzaga in the WCC Tournament in 2022, he gets a loose ball, attacks from the right side of the basket and dribbles past current Oklahoma City Thunder center Chet Holmgren for a reverse layup. 

He has a dribble package that allows him to create drives to the basket, but it is possible he swaps trips to the cup for more spot-up opportunities, especially when considering the personnel around him.

Conclusion

Rishwain’s minutes per game has climbed each season. Last season, he averaged 20 minutes per game in 20 games and 11 starts. He averaged 19.2 minutes per game coming off the bench in 34 games his junior season. 

The Gators boast a loaded backcourt with Kugel, Clayton, Pullin and junior Will Richard. Rishwain could carve out 15 to 20 minutes per game in the rotation and provide an offensive spark from the perimeter. 

A key factor in several of the Gators’ close losses last season was a failure to knock down 3-pointers. Rishwain may not start for Florida but bringing the ability to make threes could be the difference maker to get UF back to the Big Dance in March. 

The Gators men’s basketball team opens their season against Loyola Maryland at 8 p.m. Monday in the Stephen C. O’Connell Center. The game can be streamed on ESPN+. 

Contact Jackson Reyes at jacksonreyes@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @JacksnReyes.

Jackson Reyes

Jackson Reyes is a UF journalism senior and The Alligator's Fall 2023 Sports Editor. He previously served as Digital Managing Editor and was a reporter and assistant editor on the sports desk. In his free time, he enjoys collecting records, long walks on the beach and watching Bo Nix.