Florida diving triumphs over Florida State in home meet

Florida placed first over Florida State in five of the six events after honoring four seniors

Senior Skip Donald performs in the men’s platform event in the men's and women's diving team meet Friday, January 27, 2024.

The Florida men’s and women’s diving team hosted Florida State in the O’Connell Center Natatorium Friday and Saturday as a small but energetic crowd watched. The events kicked off after Florida honored their four seniors Skip Donald, Carina Lumia, Caroline Pagac and Anton Svirskyi. 

Friday’s events began with the women’s 3-meter championship and the men’s 1m championship. 

In the women’s 3m Championship, freshman Camyla Monroy claimed first with a score of 345.00 points. Sophomore Peyton Donald secured second place in the men’s 1m championship with a score of 373.75 points. 

The first day of the meet concluded with the women’s 1m championship and the men’s 3m championship. 

Monroy grabbed another first-place spot in the women’s 1m championship with 302.45 points. Lumia, who recorded two top-three finishes throughout the springboard events, followed right behind her and placed second with 299.50 points. 

In the men’s 3m championship, freshman Conor Gesing placed first with a score of 391.60 points. Donald placed in the top five in both men’s events  Friday. 

Saturday’s events featured the women’s and men’s platform dives. Monroy secured first place in the women’s platform with 323.33 points. Lumia followed in second, scoring 296.40 points. 

Sophomore Elisha Dees claimed first place in the men’s platform event with a score of 399.08. Svirskyi achieved second place with 390.45 points. 

“Caroline, Carina, Anton and Skip have given so much of themselves to this team and made such an impact on this program,” head diving coach Bryan Gillooly said. “They are truly irreplaceable. I feel truly grateful to have had the opportunity to share in their journeys and look forward to finishing this season strong and seeing what the future has in store for these remarkable young men and women.”

Next, the Gators will host the Florida Invite beginning Thursday in the O’Connell Center. 

Contact Shaine Davison at sdavison@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @shainedavison.