Florida gymnastics braces for 2024 season

The Gators come into the season as the No. 2-ranked team

Sophomore Leanne Wong performs her floor routine in Session II of the SEC Championship in Duluth, Georgia Saturday, March 18, 2023.

The Florida Gators gymnastics squad will open their season Friday in a quad home meet against Fisk State, George Washington and Talladega College. The Gators enter the season coming off of a runners-up finish in the 2023 NCAA Championships.

Despite the loss of prominent gymnasts such as All-American Trinity Thomas and Kayla DiCello, the Gators look to pave their way with a fiery mentality of hard work ethic and grit. 

"We have a team that is ready, prepared to go and a team that is very young," Rowland said Tuesday. "At the same time, they are very eager and excited to show Gator Nation how much they love them with a great performance this Friday."

With a fresh set of new faces in the realm, UF junior Leanne Wong looks to lead the team this season alongside seniors Victoria Nguyen and Chloi Clark. 

Wong was a member of the United States gold-medal-winning team at the 2023 International Gymnastics Federation World Championships. She also earned third place in the Xfinity U.S. Championships all-around to earn her fifth consecutive spot on the U.S. Senior National team. 

"I am extremely proud of the current team and the team members who have paved the way for what we have today," Rowland said. "They have definitely laid a foundation of joy, excitement, competitiveness and love for Gators when you see them compete day in and day out on the competition floor."

As the O'Dome fills for the season-opener, freshman Kaylee Bluffstone will officially stride in the orange and blue for her debut. Bluffstone grew up two hours from Gainesville and attended Gator meets from a young age. 

Her addition will be crucial against top-ranked conference competitors, especially in the floor and vault apparatus. In the 2023 Presidential Classic, Bluffstone claimed all-around runner-up, placed third place on vault and fourth in the floor competition.

"The coaches tell us all the time that we deserve to be here, and we are here for a reason," Bluffstone said. "I have to remind myself of that when I get nervous or feel like I don't belong here, but I know that I am capable of fulfilling what this team looked like in the past and continuing that in the future."

Florida freshman Alyssa Arana also speaks volumes for the team as the 2023 Presidential Classic all-around, uneven bars and balance beam champion. In 2022, she was a Junior bronze medalist for balance beam in the U.S. Development Program National Championships.  

Rowland expressed the importance of the memories this team will make this season and the significance of having fun when on the floor, and the team is eager to take the floor Friday.  

“Each person has intention and a purpose, which allows us as a team to stay motivated and have fun when competing,” Bluffstone said. 

UF will take on Fisk State, George Washington and Talladega College on Friday at 6:45 p.m. The meet will be broadcast on ESPN+. 

Contact Alyssa Britton-Harr at abritton-harr@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @abrittonharr.

Alyssa Britton-Harr

Alyssa Britton-Harr is a second-year journalism major and a sports reporter for The Alligator. In her free time, she enjoys cheering on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and spending time with her friends.